What am I doing wrong with vacuuming?

Sep 13, 2016
Waterville, ME
New pool owner here (inherited with a new house)... I'm trying to get this pool cleaned up for winter, and I've been having trouble getting my vacuum working. The primary vacuum I'm using is a pulsing, automatically moving vacuum, and I have gotten it to work before. I stick the hose into the water jet to get all the air out of the hose. I usually see bubbles after about 15 seconds. Then, I've got two ways to connect the hose: 1) I take the basket out of the skimmer and stick the hose straight down the intake, or 2) Connect the hose to a small circular vacuum adapter which goes over the skimmer basket. Option 1 has worked the best for me in the past.

Then, I turn on the pump and get it going. When there's no vacuum, the jet is strong with good pressure. However, once I put the vacuum in (doing my best to keep air out of the line), the pump gurgles and the jet pressure dies down to be very weak. When I take the vacuum back out, it takes a while for the jet to resume to full pressure.

I'd welcome any feedback about what I could be doing better. I have very little understanding about the pump, filter, settings, etc, so I'd love to learn. Thanks for your help!

What I do differently than you is before I hook the hose into the skimmer intake is that I isolate the particular intake I am going to use and turn off the valve to the other. That way you are focusing all of the return to the one skimmer intake increasing suction.

Here's a great video to watch:
How to Vacuum your In Ground Pool - YouTube

It is VERY important to keep air out of the return. It sounds like you are trying to do that but the gurgling makes me think it is not working.

Good luck!

What you had with that fitting is a "suction side leak" The circulatory system in your pool muse be kept air-tight and that fitting was allowing air to be sucked in. Once that air gets to the pump, the pump loses "prime" and doesn't work well....sometimes not at all.

It sounds like you stopped the air leak (by removing that fitting) and your pump has "primed" so everything is fine.

Since you are eager to learn, there are several articles in Pool School that will teach you about this VERY important subject.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.