Testing new pump and filter

domct203

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 3, 2015
CT
I've recently took advantage of the crazy price at Amazon and bought a new 1.5HP Hayward pump & 21" sandfilter. Next spring I will need to create a proper equipment pad for this much larger system.

I would like to at least try the filter and pump this weekend before I close the pool to make sure everything works and there are no defects. I do not want to add the 200lbs of sand as I will need to move this filter to pour a slab in the spring, then move it back onto the pad for opening.
Are there any concerns with running the sandfilter empty? I know that centrifugal pumps work easier if there is back pressure on the pressure side, I planned to close the return valves a bit to simulate the backpressure experienced with a sand-filled filter.

I only plan to run for 5-10 minutes this way.

Anything I should be concerned with? Will this damage anything?

Thanks.

Last edited:
You are on the unanswered threads list! :)

I don't know anything about running a sand filter with no media in it. The only thing I can think of is that it might blow the laterals off and damage them. So, maybe enough sand in the bottom to keep it all together?

You are on the unanswered threads list! :)

I don't know anything about running a sand filter with no media in it. The only thing I can think of is that it might blow the laterals off and damage them. So, maybe enough sand in the bottom to keep it all together?
I was worried about the laterals as well. I am thinking of leaving the entire stand pipe/laterals assembly out. I'll manually fill the filter with water too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.