Replacing SWG

TN94z

May 15, 2012
Henderson, TN
Our SWG generator went out this year but I'm not going to replace it until next season, which brings me to some questions. We currently use the SWG listed in my signature. A friend of mine just had a pool installed and they use ultraviolet light and was told that was the latest and greatest. So this lead me to some questions:

Is there a better unit that I should go to since I'm having to replace it?
Should I just stick with this one since the cell is already in place and it will just be plug and play?
Is there a better technology I should consider going to?

Anything along those lines. Thanks in advance.

I replaced mine this season with AutoPilot TotalControl (same as Pool Pilot Digital but allows ph/orp control). I really like it because it has some nice features:
  • 3 cell power settings, plus 0-100% settings. So can really dial up/down.
  • Automatically adjusts %age based upon water temperature. So now that its getting cooler, mine autoset it down from 30 to 13%.
  • Can control the pump directly from within its programming.
    • So will make sure pump is on when running.
    • Can auto run pump depending upon temperature - auto freeze protection
  • Runs at very low flow - 15-20GPM. I can run with my VSP as low as 650 RPM
  • tri-sensor built in (flow, salt, temperature)
  • 24 or 72 hour "boost" program.
  • Multi-line digital display, so easy to setup and read errors, rather than just a light or code.

I picked the RC-52 (up to 52,000 gal) for my 19,000 gal pool and set to about 30% at lowest of 3 power settings.

They have multiple models.

I replaced mine this season with AutoPilot TotalControl (same as Pool Pilot Digital but allows ph/orp control). I really like it because it has some nice features:
  • 3 cell power settings, plus 0-100% settings. So can really dial up/down.
  • Automatically adjusts %age based upon water temperature. So now that its getting cooler, mine autoset it down from 30 to 13%.
  • Can control the pump directly from within its programming.
    • So will make sure pump is on when running.
    • Can auto run pump depending upon temperature - auto freeze protection
  • Runs at very low flow - 15-20GPM. I can run with my VSP as low as 650 RPM
  • tri-sensor built in (flow, salt, temperature)
  • 24 or 72 hour "boost" program.
  • Multi-line digital display, so easy to setup and read errors, rather than just a light or code.

I picked the RC-52 (up to 52,000 gal) for my 19,000 gal pool and set to about 30% at lowest of 3 power settings.

They have multiple models.

Nice! What was the cost comparison?

Nice! What was the cost comparison?

I purchased from SaltPoolGuys.com Josh is a TFP member. Excellent prices and service.

Sorry, to be clear, since it wasn't in post. I did not have Jandy originally, I have a system PB installed with new install in spring. So not sure how it compares in cost to yours.

I purchased from SaltPoolGuys.com Josh is a TFP member. Excellent prices and service.

Sorry, to be clear, since it wasn't in post. I did not have Jandy originally, I have a system PB installed with new install in spring. So not sure how it compares in cost to yours.

Is the quality of the chlorine and pH level automation better? I just read a review from '07 about this unit and it didn't impress me much at all honestly, for the price.

Is the quality of the chlorine and pH level automation better? I just read a review from '07 about this unit and it didn't impress me much at all honestly, for the price.

I do not have the ORP/PH box yet. I will be adding in spring. As for chlorine production, it is great. My old unit was running at 100% 24/7 and did not keep up (had full sun for 10 hours/day at peak, close to upper 90s). This oversized cell is producing enough at peak with 30% at lowest of 3 power settings. Because of the low flow rate, works really well with my VSP, which saves me a lot of electricity compared to my old single speed pump. And I will be hooking up to directly control pump for the freeze protection, as I do not close pool per-se. So it had all the features I really wanted.

I do not have the ORP/PH box yet. I will be adding in spring. As for chlorine production, it is great. My old unit was running at 100% 24/7 and did not keep up (had full sun for 10 hours/day at peak, close to upper 90s). This oversized cell is producing enough at peak with 30% at lowest of 3 power settings. Because of the low flow rate, works really well with my VSP, which saves me a lot of electricity compared to my old single speed pump. And I will be hooking up to directly control pump for the freeze protection, as I do not close pool per-se. So it had all the features I really wanted.

Gotcha. I still have a single speed pump which I just replaced this year. I didn't have the money at the time for a VS. My old SWG kept the chlorine level great at 25% most of the time, but might have to bump it to 50% occasionally. I'll do some reading and researching on my options. The good news is, I should have plenty of time now.

I'm also liking the freeze protection as my safety cover doesn't look like it's going to hold up too many more seasons. It would be cheaper to use that money for something like this and not close...in my mind anyway..

There are many options for SWG's from cheap to the most expensive such as the AutoPilot. If you were happy with the Jandy performance then the easiest would be a new cell of the same type.

The warranties for SWG's have been changing lately so whatever you decide to buy make sure you find the latest warranty information. The warranties range from 60 days to seven years prorated time frames for self installations.

You might want to buy it in the spring so you don't lose out on 6 months of warranty time.

There are many options for SWG's from cheap to the most expensive such as the AutoPilot. If you were happy with the Jandy performance then the easiest would be a new cell of the same type.

The warranties for SWG's have been changing lately so whatever you decide to buy make sure you find the latest warranty information. The warranties range from 60 days to seven years prorated time frames for self installations.

You might want to buy it in the spring so you don't lose out on 6 months of warranty time.

Agreed. I won't be buying anything until I reopen the pool. I was just going to use this time to do some research to see if there is any reason to change products. I like the more automation idea, though.

ORP and SWG's are not a good combination as the CYA must be kept to a low level for the system to work. If your pool doesn't use a lot of acid then automating the acid is not worth the risk in my opinion. Those things are great for large public pools but I wouldn't bother with them for a residential pool as it will add another level of things that WILL go wrong and need troubleshooting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ORP and SWG's are not a good combination as the CYA must be kept to a low level for the system to work. If your pool doesn't use a lot of acid then automating the acid is not worth the risk in my opinion. Those things are great for large public pools but I wouldn't bother with them for a residential pool as it will add another level of things that WILL go wrong and need troubleshooting.

I can't remember having to add acid, honestly. Okay. That's kind of what I got from the review I read, but the review was from '07. Thanks for the input. I will probably just go back with the same setup. Too easy and cheaper on costs not to, I guess.

Adding a timer will be the biggest help to me honestly. My pool chemical balance never really got too out of whack until the SWG went out. I normally don't have to do much at all to our pool other than cleaning it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.