Fittings and connectors

KennyFlaming

Bronze Supporter
Apr 15, 2016
Erath, LA
I just ordered a new pump as my old one had a uncorrectible issue

my question is: if I have to re-do some of the plumbing, does lowes or my local hardware store have the correct connections? I'm thinking more along the lines of the threaded connections that attach to the filter/pump

I just ordered a new pump as my old one had a uncorrectible issue

my question is: if I have to re-do some of the plumbing, does lowes or my local hardware store have the correct connections? I'm thinking more along the lines of the threaded connections that attach to the filter/pump
This all depends on the pump, but most likely yes. If you buy a Hayward, Pentair, etc, those pumps should have standard sized connections and the fittings will be available at any big box hardware store.

Have you looked online for the new pump's manual? It may tell you exactly what size fittings you need, which then you can verify local availability.

I very well should have said what I am putting in- its a Hayward SP2303VSP MaxFlo VS

I am replacing an approximately 8 yr old sta-rite pump. The problem is that at least one of the bolts that is formed into the wet-side of the pump is both spinning free and also pulling through. This make it impossible to tighten the 2 together enough to stop a pretty significant water leak.

One plus is that by replacing with a variable speed pump I het a $250 rebate from my electric company!

[/COLOR]

- - - Updated - - -

I highly recommend RectorSeal Pipe T-Plus-2 pipe Teflon pipe thread sealant. I used this when I replaced my pump on the threads and no leaks.
Gary-
Is this a tape style sealant or liquid?

Can I get it local because my pump will be here tomorrow and I need to get it buttoned up before I leave on a trip Saturday.

I very well should have said what I am putting in- its a Hayward SP2303VSP MaxFlo VS

I am replacing an approximately 8 yr old sta-rite pump. The problem is that at least one of the bolts that is formed into the wet-side of the pump is both spinning free and also pulling through. This make it impossible to tighten the 2 together enough to stop a pretty significant water leak.

One plus is that by replacing with a variable speed pump I het a $250 rebate from my electric company!

According to the manual ( https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/maxflo-vs-S2303VSP.pdf ), the pump will come with the SPX2700UNKIT pump union kit that simply glues to 1-1/2" or 2" PVC pipe. See pages 28 & 29 for the exploded view & parts listing.

What concerns me is if you have the recommended length of straight pipe at the intake of the pump basket. The manual states on page 9 that it's recommended to have a 5 x diameter length of straight pipe. For 1-1/2 PVC, that is 7-1/2" of straight pipe, for 2" PVC it would be a 10" length.

Please see the manual pages I mentioned. The manual can be found in the link I posted above.

Also on page 9 it is mentioned do NOT use plumbers pipe dope as it may cause cracking, and to only use PTFE tape.

I believe the dope that Gary listed contains PTFE (Teflon), but I don't know if there would be any warranty claim issues if tape was not used and you develop a crack somewhere.....

However, if you are using the unions that I believe are included with the pump, they will use an o-ring and these thread sealants will not be needed.

Also on page 9 it is mentioned do NOT use plumbers pipe dope as it may cause cracking, and to only use PTFE tape.

I believe the dope that Gary listed contains PTFE (Teflon), but I don't know if there would be any warranty claim issues if tape was not used and you develop a crack somewhere.....

However, if you are using the unions that I believe are included with the pump, they will use an o-ring and these thread sealants will not be needed.

Yes, follow your warranty info. My pentair vs does not include any wording like this. Also, did not use on the fittings on my pump, but on other fittings I reworked when installing my new SWG. Yes it is teflon based.

One thing that helped me decide on this pump is thy according to the schematics it may not require any re-plumbing. It appears that the inlet and outlet are within 1/4 inch or so of my present setup.

I won't know for sure until I get it in hand but it looks like it might work with little or no replumbing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.