Closing my inground question

TN94z

May 15, 2012
Henderson, TN
I close my own pool every year and every year I end up running into the same problem. I've been meaning to make this post but never have. I'll skip to the issue, but after I put my filter in recirculate, I install my attachment for the air hose to the furthest return from the pad. I turn my compressor on and the next return will start bubbling, so I plug it. This makes the next return bubble, so I plug it. But the return or skimmers on the other side of the pool will not start bubbling. Now the first couple of years, I kept at it and they FINALLY started bubbling a little bit and I eventually got it closed. But last year, I got tired of messing with it and hired a guy to do it. He "said" he had no problems. So this year I move the attachment to every return in the pool but I get the same results. If I move the attachment to the far side (single return side), the other side won't bubble at all.

What am I doing wrong? All valves are open. Filter is in recirculate. It's the same problem every year. Am I just being impatient and need to allow the compressor to run for a long time?

Are you blowing out the lines from the pool returns or at the equipment pad? Please describe pool equipment, shut off valves, etc. in detail. Some people work from the skimmers , although it is best to work from pump on recirculate and to isolate the different areas while blowing air through the lines.

All your valves are open which is probably the issie. Isolate the returns from the suction side. You can even isolate skimmers from main drain, and returns as well if you have valves to close each area. How many shut off valves do you have and what do they control?

Also maybe the gasket in the multi port valve is leaking . Try putting your hand over the backwash hose when running the compressor and see if you feel any air.

I'll try that today.

Are you blowing out the lines from the pool returns or at the equipment pad? Please describe pool equipment, shut off valves, etc. in detail. Some people work from the skimmers , although it is best to work from pump on recirculate and to isolate the different areas while blowing air through the lines.
From the pool returns. I don't do it from the skimmers.

All your valves are open which is probably the issie. Isolate the returns from the suction side. You can even isolate skimmers from main drain and returns as well if you have valves to close each area. How many shut off valves do you have and what do they control?

I have three valves if I remember correctly. One for the mains, one for the skimmers, and one for the returns. The returns are actually split into two pipes, one of which has no shutoff. This was done so that I could shut the 3 returns on one side off and give more power to the single return on the opposite side for an old polaris cleaner we used in the past. I hope that makes sense.

As I type this out and think of your reply, I believe I can try this...tell me if I'm wrong.
-I'll put the air hose adapter into the return on single return side
-Close down the valves for the main and skimmers
-This should help give the remaining returns enough pressure to start bubbling
-I then plug those returns and shut down their valve
-Open the skimmer valves which should allow them to blow
-Plug the skimmers and then close their valves
-Open the mains valve and wait until they blow and then close it back down
-Then plug the remaining return that has the air hose attachment on it

The pump drain fitting and pressure gauge fitting is a standard 1/4 NPT fitting. Pick one of those two places and put your air hose there. Keep the pressure down to 20-25 lbs and start blowing from there. Make sure your filter is in the recirculate position!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool company I helped didn't close off anything, they just waited until the first on let go, then it was a domino effect. After the main drain blew, we just turned off all the valves very quickly with compressor running, and shut it off as soon as last valve was off.

Also maybe the gasket in the multi port valve is leaking . Try putting your hand over the backwash hose when running the compressor and see if you feel any air.

This was the issue. I have my backwash plumbed out under my fence, so I couldn't hear it. But yesterday, I went out and put my hand over the end and sure enough...there is where all of my air pressure was going. For yesterday, I shoved a towel into the pvc to stop the air pressure from leaking out. I had my boy stand on it to keep it from blowing the towel out. Once we did that, it was a domino effect and worked like a charm. Thanks!

So what will resolve this issue for future closings?
The pool company I helped didn't close off anything, they just waited until the first on let go, then it was a domino effect. After the main drain blew, we just turned off all the valves very quickly with compressor running, and shut it off as soon as last valve was off.

That's exactly what happened once I found my air leak. I didn't have to close anything and they all bubbled as expected. Now the cover is on and I can sit back and relax until next season. Thanks for all of the help

IMO, sounds like there is something wrong with your multiport valve. It should only allow pressure (flow), water or air when in backwash mode. Might be worth checking the condition of your spider gasket.

Wait, I just reread your quoted comment above. Yes, definitely investigate your spider gasket. If you suspected any water loss this summer, that may have been leaking a little water.

IMO, sounds like there is something wrong with your multiport valve. It should only allow pressure (flow), water or air when in backwash mode. Might be worth checking the condition of your spider gasket.

Wait, I just reread your quoted comment above. Yes, definitely investigate your spider gasket. If you suspected any water loss this summer, that may have been leaking a little water.

I don't really have any reason to believe I have a water leak. The water levels seem to stay consistent except for evaporation and what not. I never had to add water unless I was backwashing and rinsing.

I have had this issue for a few years now.

That's exactly what happened once I found my air leak. I didn't have to close anything and they all bubbled as expected. Now the cover is on and I can sit back and relax until next season. Thanks for all of the help[/QUOTE]

Did you drain any water from your pool, or just leave it alone?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.