Recommendation for automation?

mgj167

Oct 24, 2014
Leesville, SC
I have an in-ground pool with Pentair Intellichlor IC40, IntelliFlo VSP pump, and Polaris Sport 280 pressure side cleaner with Polaric PB4-60 booster pump. I have the pump hardwired into the 240V on the sub-panel with an operating schedule set into the pump (which I adjust for different seasons). And I have the IntelliChlor and the Polaris cleaner on an Intermatic p1353 timer.

I live in central SC and the pool stays open all year.

Until this summer all this equipment was on a small covered back porch of a small outbuilding -- thee sides open the outside. This worked well as I used the freeze protection circuit built into the pump to turn it on if the temperature dropped to near freezing.

This summer I renovated that building, and installed a full bath. I moved the house well reservoir to this back porch and installed an electric water heater on the porch for the bath. And we closed in and insulated the porch. Better for the water heater, and much better protection for the pool equipment. Unfortauntely now the temp is unlikely to drop below 50 degrees in that space, and so the pump freeze protection circuit is pretty much useless.

I think I have two options:

1) Move the pump back onto the Intermatic timer (which also has a freeze probe), which I believe eliminates the use of ability to define an operating schedule in the pump, and the on-off control for the pump(and only on-off) is now controlled by the timer. I think this changes the pump back to essentially a single speed pump, except I get to choose the speed. (As I understand it, the pump will return to its previous setting, when powered back on by the timer.) Is all this correct?

2) Install some more automation -- likely something from the Pentair line. Essentially I'd be installing this to be able to connect an air temperature sensor with a wire to reach the outside and a water temp sensor. Which automation package would you recommend in this solution?

I already have a electrical sub-panel in this space for the pool equipment and HW heater circuits.

And I don't have any more automations on the pool (no lights, no spa, etc.) and am not really planning to expand in this area.

Any thoughts/recommendations for a solution?

Thanks in advance
Michael

Mike,

The simplest solution would be to just have the pump run 24/7, at 900 RPM, during the periods of time when you might expect a freeze. My guess is that would cost you about $10 bucks to running continuously for a month.

Since the Intelliflo is controlled by a serial cable, I'm not sure what other external option there would be except for installing an EasyTouch system, which seems like serious overkill in this case and would cost $1,000.

Jim R.

The sensor is inside the pump electronics... so, not really an easy option.

Jim R.

Hmm ok, you -may- be in luck. I'm going to assume the control board for a ET4 is the same as an ET8. I have the 8, and it has two locations, marked on the board, for both air and water sensors. Simple screw terminals, easy to install. If this is the case for you, you can buy a pentair sensor, and attach it to this connection point, and then run the sensor outdoors.

Im not sure which sensor triggers the freeze mode, but either way, hook them up, and you should be all set.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.