Help Blowing Out the Lines

Oct 11, 2016
Amherst MA
Hi,
We could use some help. First time pool owners and we are trying to close pool for winter. Having trouble blowing out the lines. Have tried using a wet/dry vac hooked into the skimmer with no luck. Have also tried using an air compressor hooked up to the filter system but no luck, (no bubbles). We are not sure what we are doing wrong.
Thanks

You may not be successful blowing out the lines with the shop vac and compressor. Although, there are some things you can do which could be successful. But first thing is first. Please describe how many returns you have and where? How many skimmers and where? If you have a main drain(s)? Also, very important is to know what type of shut off valves you have at the equipment pad and what they control, etc? What about the multi-port on the filter (does it have closed, winterize, recirculate, etc.)? One last item is do you have black rubber plugs that actually fit inside the pump basket (on both sides - suction and return)? What type of pump do you have?

Please answer questions and I will help you along. You may have to only use a compressor and allow the compressor to run for quite a while, especially for the main drain. The shop vac will also come in handy to remove some water from the skimmers first, before blowing out. Thanks!

Hi

we have a Hayward super pump, self priming (model # C48K2N143B1). There are 2 returns from the skimmer and 1 return. The return is in shallow end and the skimmers, one is in shallow and one in deep end. There is no main drain.
The Multi-port doesn't have closd, winterize and recirculate only 1, 2, 1/2 and off.
The shut off valves: 1 for 2 supply hoses, out of top of filter, 1 feeding into pump, and 1 goes to one hose and other goes to 2 hoses (assuming this is from 2 skimmers. Does this make sense?
There are two drain plugs on pump basket: 1 on rear and 1 on side.
Thank you for any help you can give us.
Kelley

Can you try posting a picture, zoomed out, of your equipment pad? I will try to clarify below, please confirm.

There are 2 returns (suction lines) from the skimmer and 1 return. The return is in shallow end and the skimmers, one is in shallow and one in deep end. There is no main drain. So you have 2 skimmers (one in shallow end, one in deep end), each with a separate line back to the pump right? And you have only one return back into the pool, correct?

The shut off valves: 1 for 2 supply hoses, out of top of filter, 1 feeding into pump, and 1 goes to one hose and other goes to 2 hoses (assuming this is from 2 skimmers. Does this make sense? It does not make sense to me, sorry a picture will help. How many valves do you have total? I would expect that there is one 3-way valve that combines the two skimmer suction lines together and that runs the inlet side of the pump, correct? If you have only one return to pool, it sounds like you have one valve on that, correct? out of top of filter, this is really throwing me. Please explain or snap a pic.

Don't take this as rude, it is always hard to describe setups as we always want them to be the same but they never are.

we have a Hayward super pump, self priming (model # C48K2N143B1). There are 2 returns from the skimmer and 1 return. The return is in shallow end and the skimmers, one is in shallow and one in deep end. There is no main drain.

Kelly:

Very simple on this one. In your pump, find a plug that closes the suction side. Lower the water below the skimmers by about 2". Then go to each skimmer and suction as much water out as possible with the wet vac. Considering you no main drain, just work on the skimmers. Next, if working with a shop vac (blow air into the skimmer port on one end the water should travel to the other end because you removed most of the water). If you are working with an air compressor, you have to remove black plug and connect an npt fitting to the pump basket, but close the return side before moving forward. Install Gizmo's in the skimmer lines for ice expansion.

The Multi-port doesn't have closed, winterize and recirculate only 1, 2, 1/2 and off.

Now, close the skimmer side (suction area) with black plug so no further air can travel this way. Put multi-port on recirculate and blow air through basket until return bubbles for at least 45 seconds to 1 minute and plug the return jet. Have someone there shut off the blower, etc. Winterize your filter, etc. Once you are done, I will send you instructions on the filter as I am not near the normal computer.

Question: What type of compressor or blower are you using and do you have the npt fittings? If you are using a shop vac, then you will have find an extension for a 1.5" hose which will be flexible enough to put inside the pump basket, unless there are unions. The 1 return you have should not be too hard. The idea is to blow air through the sytem and it really does not matter how you do it, as long as you do it properly.

- - - Updated - - -

Pictures may also help us better understand your pool. Equipment pad, pump, filter, multi-port, etc. (close picture on multi-port).

Sounds like a de with a push/pull valve.. Open tank clean the filter & when you have it out, put valve in "filter" and blow returns through the stand pipe.. Badabing.. You can nail the suction side from the pump influent port

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

013.jpg010.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the larger view of the filter and pump (sorry I was having trouble loading them)
Part of the problem for us is that our multiport valve does not say closed, recirculate, backwash like other ones they just seem to have numbers 1, 2, 1/2 or off.
Also I realized that part of our problem at least when using the shop vac on the skimmers is that we are not getting a good suction (we are trying to fit the shop vac over the skimmer a little tighter.
We really appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
Kelley

Also I realized that part of our problem at least when using the shop vac on the skimmers is that we are not getting a good suction (we are trying to fit the shop vac over the skimmer a little tighter.

I have a descent shop vac. The issue could be that your shop vac may not be powerful enough. With my system, I have one valve for skimmers and one valve for main drain. When performing this function, I close off the main drain and one skimmer line. Then I work with only one line from skimmer to pump with the wet vac. This makes a big difference. Now I move on to the next skimmer. Eventually, I blow out the remaining water from the skimmers. This may help.

Part of the problem for us is that our multiport valve does not say closed, recirculate, backwash like other ones they just seem to have numbers 1, 2, 1/2 or off

By trial and error, if you can figure out which one the backwash is, then you can try to figure out which one is Filter and Recirculate. You have "Off", which means this is probably what is left. If you work with one setting and you are not having success, try the other setting. There is more resistance on filter than recirculate. With enough volume, it really does not matter. Although, it is best to try to figure out which one is recirculate.

If you have an idea of what the model # of the filter and multi-port is, try calling the manufacturer. I have not see any pool companies ever NOT try to help. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.