Used flocculant with no "Waste" option . . . . help?

TCruz

May 14, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
My pool filter is a two option stem valve: circulate & backwash.

After repairing my filter and getting algae problem fixed, there was a lot of cloudiness. Chemicals were all balanced.

Flocced my pool based on some advice by pool guy. Worked great. Pool was clear and floc was at the bottom. Here's where the problem begins:.

My pool has jets that turn on to circulate the water. I can't vacuum without those jets turning on. When the jets turn on, they disturb the floc and I cannot vacuum.

I cannot vacuum and backwash and have no waste option.

How can I remove the floc from my pool? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sorry for your unfortunate situation. The garden hose vacuums will not nail this...it will only stir it up.
I'm afraid your best be is going to be renting a trash pump from Home Depot then replenishing the water you lose. If he floc was the type that as to be vacuumed to waste (eg Alum) then I feel you will really want to use this method of removal and keep it out of your system/filter.

If Home Depot doesn't rent a pump, your local tool rental will...........Lesson Learned..........and SAME for me..........ask your questions HERE, not at pool store, the guys here most likely would have walked you through the process and when they said you MUST always vac to waste after flocculation, it would have come to light. I flocc'd my pool and it was amazing how crystal clear it made it. Best wishes for an easy outcome, let us know how you make out

Bruce

It is seldom recommended to floc here, that I've seen. Generally POP (pool owner patience) is the advice given. Making sure you pass all 3 criteria before ending your SLAM, which includes running your filter and maintaining your SLAM level until the water is clear. Did you pass the OCLT before you did the floc?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool plumbing was done before I bought the house. They installed typical ball valves, the socket type, which means they are glued in place and like a few people have said, you will eventually have problems with them. I had one I could hardly turn the handle and one other was tight. I had a quality pool company come out and replace my entire header and install union type ball valves, they operate very easy and if you ever do have a problem with one, just undo the unions with a strap wrench and replace the valve body. NEVER put a socket type ball valve in pool plumbing.

196aff0fef83ca5ae68428d12c1a20b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.