Sep 20, 2016
Lake Placid, FL
FC 7.5
CYA 60
PH 7.8
TA 100
CH 210
Salt 4780

5700 gallon fiberglass pool in central Florida, just installed a few months ago. I had a few minor start-up issues due to my ignorance and not the best help from the pool company. For example they did not put any chlorine stabilizer in the pool at startup and did not even tell me that I needed it for two months. That's when I found this site and started learning and testing myself.

I think things are going OK, but my FC seems to stay on the high side. My pump is running 5.5 hours/day. I have a Pure Chlor generator with 8 settings or levels. Chlorine was high and I had shut the generator off for several days until the FC went down to 4. I've been running it for about a week at the lowest setting and FC has crept up. Is this OK? I don't want to shut the chlorine generator off, but would consider reducing pump run time if that makes sense.

Yes, as stated water temperature can affect the amount of chlorine needed (as temp goes down, so does need). Also the amount of direct sunlight is a major factor. So with fall coming, the amount of sun is probably less than before and the angle could be different. And if using a cover would reduce need. So yes, reducing the setting and/or adjusting its run time are the two options.

My cover is on now unless we go out to swim, so that reduced the direct sunlight, and the temp has dropped as well, so further reducing. So I have reduced both my %age and pump run time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.