Questions about a bromine hot tub

Sjde

Apr 29, 2016
Denver CO
Pool Size
We have a fairly new hot tub in a vacation rental and I'm pretty sure our service person doesn't add sodium bromide when he changes the water. He didn't think it necessary. He is certified-took the classes. We have a floater. Should I be insisting he do this?

You are correct. The tabs add bromide, but very slowly. I assume the tabs add the appropriate amount of chlorine for the amount of bromide they dispense. This may, or may not, be enough sanitizer to deal with the bather load.
New water should have 30ppm of bromide added to it. Then you can add an appropriate amount of chlorine to "activate" enough bromine for the bather load.
I buy a "Startup Pack" of bromide for @ $3.00 when replacing my water.
Then I add bleach to maintain sanitation and shock levels of bromine as needed.
I use tabs in a floater as a supplemental dispenser in case I don't have a chance to test my water for a few days. It's mostly a "backup" to prevent my bromine level from ever reaching zero. I don't need the bromide that it's dispensing. That's already in the water. I'm just using it to dispense the chlorine that activates the bromine. The extra bromide added is not a concern.

From the NSPF website (coloring via me): [FONT=&quot]A CPO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]®[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Certification provides individuals with the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]basic[/FONT][FONT=&quot] knowledge, techniques, and skills of pool and spa operations.[/FONT]

Basic knowledge. He does not do it because he does not know any better. Either he does what you want him to or you find someone who will. It is your money and your spa.

Agreed, though this is the 2nd person we've used and I only know of one other in our small somewhat isolated town.

I have asked him , but is there any way ( with measurements) I'm able to tell if he's done it?

On a related matter, how often should chemicals be checked if there are no rentals in the off-season?
I'm thinking if we get up there every 2-4 weeks we can check it ourselves and that's good enough?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Even with no bather load 2-4 weeks is too long to go without checking. You should look into getting a salt water chlorine generator. Then you might be able to get away with it (and without your pool boy).
You might be able to maintain it with tabs in floaters but you don't have much control and they do run out, possibly before you get back there.
A swg keeps running (as long as the electricity is on).

Agreed, converting from bromine to chlorine and adding a saltwater chlorine generator is probably the best option for a scenario like that. It will maintain a minimum amount of sanitizer in the tub at all times. There are several options available. Saltron Mini is one popular model.

You would need to drain and refill to switch to bleach/chlorine. Here is how to maintain a tub with chlorine
How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.