Is it CREEPY to have a security camera pointed at the pool area?

Veccster

Bronze Supporter
Aug 30, 2016
Pittsburgh PA
I'm hoping to hear from both sides.

Would you be creeped out if you went to a friends house to swim and saw a camera that is pointed at the pool area?

Would you be uncomfortable if your young daughter went to a house that has a camera in the pool area?

I'm talking about something on the roof-line that overlooks the whole pool area.

I understand that it's my backyard and I can do whatever I want. But I'm trying to see it from a 3rd party perspective. I'd like to have the added security of having a camera overlook my pool but I don't want to creep out my neighbors. I also have 2 daughters (5 and 9) who will most definitely have parties and friends over. I'm just wondering how others feel about knowing there is a camera that could be recording their swim.

I certainly don't want my guests feeling uncomfortable.

Some may look at a camera focused on the pool as an opportunity to check-out/record skimpily-clad swimmers, but I do see some benefits:
- Ability to monitor safety practices
- Reviewing footage for overnight intruders (i.e. wild animals)
- Monitoring for vandalism. Unfortunately that's an issue, even for pools.
- Maintain watch for equipment problems (ie. pump failure or water line rupture) - if able to see the equipment pad.
- It might also prove valuable for insurance purposes - maybe. Not really sure. :)

I wouldn't think anything of it, it's good insurance and security - nothing more in my opinion. If my neighbors put in a pool or backyard camera I would not pay it any mind either, but then again i'm not the Gladys Kravitz type

I think it's a great idea. We have a pool in Michigan and one being built in Arizona. I would like to make sure other people aren't using my pool when I'm not home and also if I'm paying someone to monitor the chemicals and maintaining the pool I would like to make sure they are actually showing up. I've heard of horror stories of being charged for visits to the house when they never occurred.

No posts yet from anyone who would be uncomfortable with it.

That said...you are all pool owners and are aware of the importantance of safety and security around a pool. I'm not sure my guests would, at first glance, understand the benefits of a camera. They might just assume it's to survail the swimmers. Honestly, I don't want video of invited swimmers. I want video of the uninvited. There is just no way to get one without the other.

Perhaps I will be open and honest as guests start coming over to swim. I'll explain to them why the cameras are there. Or even show them that they don't have zoom capabilities.

It's fixed mount. I'd like to get it as high as possible on the roof line as well. It's a walk-out basement and the highest I can get is the roof of the 1st floor.

Imagine walking past it and having it follow you...

I've been having the same discussion in my mind. Great question by the OP.

I put one in when the neighbor has someone steal his chainsaw off his back deck. It records only when there is motion.

If you knew how many cameras there are watching you everywhere, one more isn't a big deal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This...

If a friend's having a security camera creeped me out, my kids already wouldn't be doing there.

We have two in our yard for better coverage. They are fixed mounted, on the roof line, and motion activated. They are also in plain sight if one looks.

We've had many friends over and a 1st grade birthday party. Nobody has had a problem with them and several have asked about the type we use and how to install their own for security.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm having a party at my house, and with two kids, that happens on a regular basis, we hire life guards for the event. That truly puts Everyones mind at rest.

Cheap insurance for anything that might go wrong, and the parents can All relax. Especially me!

I'd probably feel creeped out if I saw a cam like that.

If I'm having a party at my house, and with two kids, that happens on a regular basis, we hire life guards for the event. That truly puts Everyones mind at rest.

Cheap insurance for anything that might go wrong, and the parents can All relax. Especially me!

I'd probably feel creeped out if I saw a cam like that.

Interesting. Thank you!

Also, great idea about lifeguards.

In my last house, no pool but I did install security cameras because our area had a few break ins. It freaked my neighbor out thinking we were spying on them and they got highly upset. I tilted it down so it wouldn't point at their house but also let it be known if they had a break in don't come a knockin! Have one on my patio next to the pool which I can't see from upstairs. It helps keep an eye on things cause I can't.

In today's world you're on camera rather you know it or not much of the time. I have a camera over my pool, and other parts of my property, so I can watch my grandkids without standing out there all the time. My grandkids are not small children so they do not need to be monitored all the time but we like to keep an eye on them anyway. Don't mistake this for saying the security camera replaces adult supervision, it does not. That said, none of my guests have ever mentioned or indicated they are at all uncomfortable with the camera being there. Personally, I would not be without it. In my opinion, there isn't anything going on out there that should be worrisome. It's nice to be able to look out there and see what's happening, also it keeps a weeks worth of video on hand I can always go back and look at if was ever needed, it rewrites over itself after seven days. I have never looked back at anything in the year I have lived there. To be honest, I don't even remember it's there when I'm outside, good chance most people don't even know it's there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one that covers my pool, with motion detection. I think of it as added safety, since it will shoot me a text message if it captures anything.. like a kid falling in the pool. I also have safety gates and such, because you can never be too safe with a pool.

Two days ago I was sitting in my office when my dog starting barking at the door. I pulled up the camera on my tablet and saw a solicitor of some sort repeatedly knocking and then putting a flyer on the door. Our city has suffered from people posing as solicitors and then playing the knock knock game before jumping over the fence and busting a window to gain entry. I was able to rewind and see that he wasn't looking through windows or at my gates. I also saw him come from other houses and then go to the neighbors house. In the end, I figure he was legit, but you never know.

If a friend's having a security camera creeped me out, my kids already wouldn't be doing there.

absolutely! If I'm worried that the person is a creep, my kids aren't going over there, snow suits or in bathing suits.

How about putting up a VERY visible sign notifying all guests about the surveillance? De-creep it before it comes up and saves 300 different explanations.

I was just about to say this. Put up a sign in an obvious place, like near the patio table/chairs. "Smile, your on camera! :grin: " Don't try to hide the camera.
I wouldn't say anything, not show them the feed unless they ask, no need to.

I think all these would remove the "creep" factor since it would be known you are advertising that you have a camera generically monitoring things. If that particular person or family doesn't feel comfortable, they swim at their comfort level or not at all.

No one questions the pool cameras at the local hotel or fitness center.

We have one, it is really useful. It is fixed inside an inverted dome, and unless you really look closely, you cannot tell where it is pointed. No one has ever even questioned it. We have had family pool parties (2-12 people), friend parties (up to 20 people I suppose), and a monster high school tennis team and family party (maybe 70 people crammed on our deck). No one ever even cared or commented.

Now me, I like being able to see the pool from my media room. For safety, viewing water clarity, lawn quality, etc.

FWIW, my wife is a licensed security professional engineer, for hospitals, universities, and such. She had the camera installed.

<---- BTW, that's the view from our pool area camera on the left

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.