Is it CREEPY to have a security camera pointed at the pool area?

For those of you who do have a camera set up any advice for a good system?
Don't need the zoom feature but feel having it recorded and available on the iPhone would be good. Any way to set it up without running a bunch of wires and set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends what you want the capability of your system to be really. You just wanna be notified with text or email alerts or monitor live when you want to--look into Arlo by netgear. Keeps 7 days of FREE recordings. Uses WIFI.

- - - Updated - - -

Hubby and I have been known to moon the google drone...sorry ;)

Thought I noticed some shinier reflections on that last satellite pass..........................

I guess I am the lone dissenter on this one ;)
Hubby had installed same in our pool area for all the reasons cited and I immediately ripped it out...

I just felt -- and still feel -- it's essentially bad manners to photograph/record people in situ without possible consent and it would be socially weird to me to inform people in advance of surveillance. The last thing on earth a guest needs in my private little paradise is to feel in any way "on camera."

Perhaps its a former-mediaphile thing, or an aversion to reality TV, or I'm just a Luddite out of step. Or maybe its just because I swim naked a lot and don't feel anyone needs historical covert access to that footage ;) Don't wanna traumatize future generations ;)
You're not alone. [emoji6]

Makes you wonder how people survived for thousands of years without technology don't it?

[emoji13]

^The irony of my position on this one, i have realized, is that we're about to start construction on an observatory dome for a fairly-high-but amateur-level powered telescope on a platform adjacent to the poolhouse.

I personally know you can't see anything as close as the pool with it (but the rings of Jupiter are crystal ;)) but I'd probably be best to be sure "geeky astronomer sky gazing nights" are not combined with "girls night pool shenanigans" ;)

^It takes something a little stronger than the wine cooler ;) or in tonight's case...it takes years of wanton brain damage from adult beverages!

In my lame defense, when I was typing that I was simultaneously thinking about the time many moons ago when we fabricated an interactive solar system and Jupiter got stuck in the double doorway of the museum...the phrase "astronomy geeks" brought that free association to mind ;)

I have literally gone back and forth on this a thousand times. We entertain often and I don't want the slightest bit of concern from our guests. We also have the type of friends that would be welcome and invited to use our pool even when we're not home.

But I also want to know what is happening around our pool when we're not there and it's not being used. I've even considered installing a camera that is easily accessible that can be removed quickly. I'll put it up when we're gone on vacation, weekends or when we know that the pool will not be used for extensive periods of time. When guests come over or we're using the pool, the camera will be removed.

Gonna think about this one more this week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With the Arlo cams--------the battery operated one that is weather proof, just pop the cam off it's magnetic base-------the plug in one, just unplug it and plug it in somewhere else!

I have literally gone back and forth on this a thousand times. We entertain often and I don't want the slightest bit of concern from our guests. We also have the type of friends that would be welcome and invited to use our pool even when we're not home.

But I also want to know what is happening around our pool when we're not there and it's not being used. I've even considered installing a camera that is easily accessible that can be removed quickly. I'll put it up when we're gone on vacation, weekends or when we know that the pool will not be used for extensive periods of time. When guests come over or we're using the pool, the camera will be removed.

Gonna think about this one more this week.

Wouldn't the POWER button be more useful? Turn the system off when things are about to get "interesting" and want some privacy. :cool:

I guess I'm confused, I just don't see were a camera overlooking the pool is at all inappropriate. I never look at the playback, and only would if there was a problem which would likely be at night or with equipment. It's not like it's there to monitor and watch people. If that's a problem, it doesn't lie with the camera. I would never have a pool without a monitoring system. Never once have I had any guest even mention the fact it's there, but then we're not young people doing crazy things, I guess that could make a difference.

I guess I'm confused, I just don't see were a camera overlooking the pool is at all inappropriate. I never look at the playback, and only would if there was a problem which would likely be at night or with equipment. It's not like it's there to monitor and watch people. If that's a problem, it doesn't lie with the camera. I would never have a pool without a monitoring system. Never once have I had any guest even mention the fact it's there, but then we're not young people doing crazy things, I guess that could make a difference.

Many people feel it's an invasion of privacy. Of course, if they're at someone else's home, there's a much lower "reasonable expectation" of privacy. I, personally speaking, would not like to be on someone's "pool cam".

Also, some States regulate the use of video surveillance equipment and will minimally require, in some instance, that a sign be posted. Audio surveillance is an even more highly regulated situation with some states requiring 2-party consent before ANY audio can be recorded. Obviously these types of notification and consent were not really intended for a backyard pool security camera in a private residence, but given the litigious nature of American society, I can easily see someone throwing up a fuss and making a stink about it.

Wouldn't the POWER button be more useful? Turn the system off when things are about to get "interesting" and want some privacy. :cool:

The camera is still there and others don't know if it's truly on or off.
I'm not worried about having anything "interesting" on record. I'M not worried about the camera. I'm thinking about others.

Thank you.

I realize most on this forum will see it's usefulness because we all own pools. We're not doing crazy things that I'm afraid to have on video. And I also don't watch playback - unless there would be an issue.

I appreciate your input.

Just a thought for those that don't want to watch the pool area directly.... why not have it watch the gates to the area? You'll see who's coming and going but not have an eye on the pool itself...

I think this thread has verified that there are those who have a environment where cameras may seem creepy and those who have situations where they are not at all worrisome. For me, it was never a thought that took up any space in my mind, never a situation where they would be a problem. So for me, I would not think of being without one..... But I understand that's not the case for everybody. That said every owner will have to make that decision, it's not a cookie-cutter deal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.