IntelliPh Injector

bxcrwlly

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 3, 2012
Central Florida
For those of you using Pentair's IntelliPh automation to maintain your acid. I just replaced my pump head, again for the third year in a row due to corrosion and failure. More importantly, I want to let you know that I also found my injector had failed.

Apparently, from what I've "heard," the injector that came with the unit "may" have a faulty check valve. I discovered mine when I replaced my acid hose connection to the injector. The injector was allowing water to dispense when the injector hose was removed. My local pool store contacted Pentair and they shipped a new injector part #522513Z. I'm in the process of installing it. What I though would've been a simple straight-forward process has turned into a bit of nagging problem.

The new acid hose is quite difficult to install through the new compression fitting even using silicon lubricant. Took me a couple of tries using brute force and awkwardness. I've also encountered slow water leaks where the injector is jointed to the water line and itself. Have retaped and reinstalled twice and am now working on a third time. Never had the problem with the old injector.

Hopefully this posting will be of some help to those using this product.

The pump heads are a known replacement part which is why they are specifically excluded from warranty. The tubes and check valve/injector probably should also be changed on a regular basis because of exposure to concentrated acid.

As for the injection point in the plumbing loop, the best designs I've seen are when people cut in a 2" x 3/4" PVC tee and then use the 3/4" side to make the correct pipe thread fitting to the injector. This completely eliminates the need to drill and tap holes in the plumbing and/or use saddle clamps. A tee connection is much sturdier and allows you to use proper pipe tape or pipe dope on the threads to avoid leaks.

If you switch to 15% HCl, you may find fewer corrosion issues with the unit as 15% HCl has very low volatility/fuming.

JoyfulNoise....tks for your feedback. I learned that Pentair developed a newly engineered pump head. It allows the user to unlock a cover and simply replace the "Stenner" hose vs. the pump head on an annual basis. Not sure it can be retrofitted to existing tanks, though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.