Intellitouch, or something else?

Drew80

Feb 26, 2013
Austin, TX
I'm planning a new build, and I've been researching the various automation systems out there. There are a ton of options, so I thought I'd reach out here for recommendations. I want to fully automate my equipment (pump, valves, SWG, blower, heater, lights including landscape), control all of it from my iphone/ipad (I can do wifi or wired), and have a waterproof remote that allows me to adjust the spa temperature. The Intellitouch does everything except the spa remote (unless I just haven't found it), but I'm also open to other options.

Are any of the mobile apps any good, or are they all awful? They get horrible ratings in the app store.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Drew,

The best advice I can give you is the stick with one manufacturer. This way each unit will "talk" the same language and they will integrate seamlessly. I have, and like, Pentair, but almost all automation systems have the same basic features.

Unless you have an unusual set of requirements, the cheaper EasyTouch8 would normally be the best option.

Tell us more about your proposed pool and maybe we can point you in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jim R.

My setup is going to be fairly simple, from an automation standpoint:

- pool w/ color-changing lights (11k gallons)
- spa w/ color-changing lights and blower (1000 gallons)
- landscape lighting (I can control this separately, but I would prefer to have it on the same controller)
- SWG
- 350k BTU heater
- 2-speed (preferably quiet) pump

The two big things I want from an automation system, other than automation:

- ability to control remotely with my phone and not have a panel mounted to the wall
- ability to control from the pool/spa with a waterproof remote (including temperature control - most remotes miss this)

I'm planning a new build, and I've been researching the various automation systems out there. There are a ton of options, so I thought I'd reach out here for recommendations. I want to fully automate my equipment (pump, valves, SWG, blower, heater, lights including landscape), control all of it from my iphone/ipad (I can do wifi or wired), and have a waterproof remote that allows me to adjust the spa temperature. The Intellitouch does everything except the spa remote (unless I just haven't found it), but I'm also open to other options.

Are any of the mobile apps any good, or are they all awful? They get horrible ratings in the app store.

You could use this:
http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/SpaCommanSpaSideRemoteOM.pdf

iPhones are water-resistant.

And/or you can use an apple watch (which is water resistant) with Screen Logic.

Oh, and X2 with respect to Jim's Comments. Choose a company, and stick with their stuff.

I too like Pentair. I really like the efficiency, power, and silence of the pump, the SWG was supposed to last 3-5 years, and it lasted 5 years [and with my scaling issues, it should not have]. I really like my Quad DE filter. And with the SL-Config utility, the programming is pretty simple. I also like service mode, so when you want to do any maintenance, you can put it into service mode, and then back to auto mode and it picks up where you left off, so your automatic shutoff is not perturbed, etc.

I now have automated chlorine and MA, so I'm getting to the point where I need only do a quick check every few days, and a minor adjustment once a week, if that.

My one issue so far [replacement SWG controller issue], was resolved with overnight shipping, once we figured out I had a faulty SWG. I'd prefer something that doesn't need manufacturer support, but I'm happy that the one issue was resolved completely.

So call me a Pentair Fan!

I have not tried other suppliers; they all seem pretty darn good. If I were to do it again, I'd go Pentair; 1) I know how to dial it all in, and 2) my experience with the products and the company are all good (with the one exception that was resolved).

The iPhone 7 is water resistant, the iPhone 6 (which I have) is not, and neither of them are waterproof. I might just buy a $20 waterproof case and save myself $400.

So for my requirements, can I go with EasyTouch or should I just pay the extra money and get IntelliTouch?

Drew,

There is nothing on your list that the EasyTouch can't control. I have an EasyTouch4, which means it has 4 relays, but one is used for the SWG, so that really only gives you 3 control relays. If I had to do it again, I'd get the EasyTouch8 which has 7 user controlled relays..

The EasyTouch will allow you to switch back and fourth between the Spa mode and Pool mode with one button (or icon)

The ET allows you to control 4 valves, although two of the four are used to switch between the Spa and Pool.

The ET will control your heater.

If you are going saltwater, then you need to get the ET that comes with the SWG (IC-40, not IC20) and has the built-in SWG power supply.

Although the ET will control a two speed motor, when a special relay is installed, I really recommend you get the VS Intelliflo. It is controlled by a serial cable (comes with the motor) and you can set it to the exact speed you want. In my case, I run mine at 1,200 RPM which only uses 172 Watts of power. If I want my waterfall wall to run on, I push one icon and the valves turn to the proper position and the pump increase to the right speed for the waterfalls to look right.

I also have my landscape lightning controlled by the ET.

Jim R.

You could use this:
http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/SpaCommanSpaSideRemoteOM.pdf

iPhones are water-resistant.

And/or you can use an apple watch (which is water resistant) with Screen Logic.

Stay away from the embedded (built into the gunite) spa side remotes. They often fail due to leaks and water exposure and are the source of frustration to many pool builders and owners. They will develop weird, intermittent electrical problems that are hard to diagnose and they are expensive to replace.

If you go with Pentair, then go with ScreenLogic and just use an old iPhone as the remote. The built in spa-side controllers are more trouble then they're worth.

Stay away from the embedded (built into the gunite) spa side remotes. They often fail due to leaks and water exposure and are the source of frustration to many pool builders and owners. They will develop weird, intermittent electrical problems that are hard to diagnose and they are expensive to replace.

If you go with Pentair, then go with ScreenLogic and just use an old iPhone as the remote. The built in spa-side controllers are more trouble then they're worth.

I have a Pentair IS-4 spa side remote which replaced an ancient Compool remote. So far, after two years I have not had any trouble with it. After I affixed the labels to it, I applied a clear UV resistant coating over the labels and so far they have not discolored or peeled off. The remote gets full morning sun. Stay away from the IS-10 space command remote, it has horrible reviews and is very expensive to boot.

I am new here and have only had a pool for a year. I can't compare equipment and I won't necessarily recommend, but I'll just say I'm 100% Pentair (because that is the company I bought from only uses Pentair) and I'm very happy so far.

I found this thread comparing the Intellitouch to the Easytouch. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/17402-intellitouch-vs-easytouch I have the EasyTouch 8 and I can control everything I've got, 2 lights, spa, pool, top sprays and bubbler, heater, cleaner, waterfall feature. I do NOT have a SWG and don't know if Easytouch can control that, Intellitouch says it can. Seems Intellitouch is more expensive than Easytouch. Both of the products work with their Screen Logic which I also have. This allows for iphone/ipad usages and as others comment - I bought a cheap refurbed iPad Mini and put a water proof case on it. Not only do I get to control my spa (and whole pool) with it, but I can control my music, house lighting, thermostat and all other items in the house which I've got automated. This makes much more sense to me than paying a few hundred more for a dedicated remote for about the same price as the mini.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Miles,

You first have to set up a circuit, circuit name, and function.. See configurator page 2 of 5

Should look something like this... Page 2 of 5.jpg

Then on page 4 of 5 you match the pump speed with the circuit you want to use..

Should look something like this... Page 4 of 5.jpg

If that does not point you in the right direction, let me know..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thank you. I need to install the Windows app vs trying to do from iOS. Appreciate the guidance.

BTW - what is name of Windows app in screen captures you provided?

Also noticed my PB put my IntelliFlo 2 VST into manual mode @ 2350 RPM constant after start-up today.

Thanks Jim R. Sorry, I meant the Windows app you were using to configure the IntelliFlo in the screen captures themselves?

Also, the PB informed me they are running the VSP in Service Mode constant for now. I checked the LCD and showed it's at 2350 RPM and around 700W if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miles,

The program is Screen Logic's configuration screen. If you have Screen Logic open on your Display and close X it.. you will see the following screen

Connect Screen.jpg

Selecting Configure Screen Logic takes you into programming it

Selecting Start Screen Logic takes you back to the Display screen.

Did your PB show you anything about Screen Logic???

Jim R.

Thanks again Jim R. No - not yet. They dropped off my SL2 wireless module and I've hooked it up and brought it online. However my pump is in service mode for next few days. PB coming this weekend to do orientation on equipment and SL2.

The Windows program comes on a disc that should have been supplied with the Protocol Adapter, and Ethernet Cable. If you do not have it, you can go to the Pentair website and download it into your PC. I think they also have a MAC version if you do not have a PC. The IOS and Android Apps are useful, but do not have anywhere near the functionality of the PC program. From the PC program you can do pretty much anything you could do from the EasyTouch or Intellitouch panel, but much easier. Enjoy the ScreenLogic, but I would not trust the PB to be much of an expert, learn it yourself. Read the Manual.

Thanks Gary. Downloaded and installed the app. Works great.

Though I have noticed that periodically when I login to SL from my iPhone there is different info from one time to the next. For example one session may display default schedules, other times schedules screen is blank...features may show booster pump option as disabled, another time it's not even listed. Very inconsistent behavior most of time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.