Drain Plugs Hayward Super Pump

They are both the same size but one will drain the basket while the other will drain the impeller. They both need to be removed to allow the pump to drain both areas.

Edit: It shouldn't matter which one you use (to blow out the lines) as both sections are open to each other. I'm pretty sure you're not going to get the volume of air you need to blow out the lines if you're just using those small drain holes.

It shouldn't matter which one you use as both sections are open to each other.
You probably should drain both because they are lower than the impeller inlet and that is where the two chambers connect.

You probably should drain both because they are lower than the impeller inlet and that is where the two chambers connect.

I was pulling both plugs, just wanted to be sure which one to hook a compressor to. I think I need to hook it to the front one as the water didn't drain when I pulled the side one, but it did drain when I pulled the front one.

- - - Updated - - -

They are both the same size but one will drain the basket while the other will drain the impeller. They both need to be removed to allow the pump to drain both areas.

Edit: It shouldn't matter which one you use (to blow out the lines) as both sections are open to each other. I'm pretty sure you're not going to get the volume of air you need to blow out the lines if you're just using those small drain holes.

Isn't that how you do it if you use a compressor though? Otherwise, how would you hook a compressor to a 2" pvc?

Yes, you can use the drain plugs to blow out the lines. There are several videos on YouTube on how to do it.

IMHO, If you're going to do it right you really need to use a "Cyclone". Shop vacs don't generate enough pressure and a compressor doesn't supply enough volume. A cyclone - > Cyclone II Pool Line Blower Vac 3.0hp, 4128100

Yes you can try other means and there are youtube videos out there but there also was the one showing people how to drill into their new i7 phone to reveal the "hidden" ear phone jack !! And some people actually did !!
Clueless iPhone 7 owners tricked into DRILLING hole in their phones to 'get a headphone jack'

Having the right tool is cheap insurance on making sure the water is out and it's about the cost of two paid closings. If you know you'll have the pool for at least two more years it will pay for itself and you'll have the tool too !! Make sure you have good O rings on the plugs.
You have a big pool and I'm guessing the runs are long. I wouldn't trust my pool to a shop vac or compressor and I have a couple of both but I can see -30 here in Wisconsin and the thought of a broken underground pipe scares me greatly. Was going to get one this year but time is running out. I'll have one next year as I'm tired of seeing two guys spend 15 minutes blowing and plugging my lines and getting a 115-140 dollar bill a couple weeks later.

Just my two cents.

I'll have one next year as I'm tired of seeing two guys spend 15 minutes blowing and plugging my lines and getting a 115-140 dollar bill a couple weeks later.

In NJ, the closing of a pool is a lot more, especially if you hire a pool company. After the first year, and $260, that was enough. The following year, I purchased the Cyclone and created a modified cover. Look through the closing section and you will find my post. Best purchase ever made. Even though other members have closed their pools with Shop Vac's and compressors, I did not want to take a chance. The biggest obstacle people face is the main drain.

IMHO, If you're going to do it right you really need to use a "Cyclone". Shop vacs don't generate enough pressure and a compressor doesn't supply enough volume. A cyclone - > Cyclone II Pool Line Blower Vac 3.0hp, 4128100

Yes you can try other means and there are youtube videos out there but there also was the one showing people how to drill into their new i7 phone to reveal the "hidden" ear phone jack !! And some people actually did !!
Clueless iPhone 7 owners tricked into DRILLING hole in their phones to 'get a headphone jack'

Having the right tool is cheap insurance on making sure the water is out and it's about the cost of two paid closings. If you know you'll have the pool for at least two more years it will pay for itself and you'll have the tool too !! Make sure you have good O rings on the plugs.
You have a big pool and I'm guessing the runs are long. I wouldn't trust my pool to a shop vac or compressor and I have a couple of both but I can see -30 here in Wisconsin and the thought of a broken underground pipe scares me greatly. Was going to get one this year but time is running out. I'll have one next year as I'm tired of seeing two guys spend 15 minutes blowing and plugging my lines and getting a 115-140 dollar bill a couple weeks later.

Just my two cents.

Thanks that bit on the iPhone 7 was extremely helpful...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.