Should I lower TA?

Oh, and if you say yes, where do I get MA (pool store only?). And, how should I aerate? I don't have an extra pump and am not mechanically inclined enough to make something.

I can point my eye up and maybe get a fountain. How much is one of those fountains? And if it hooks to your return jet, is there much point? I would only be able to use one at a time. Which would work better?

You can get MA at any hardware store, generally. Big box store may sell it too (i.e. HD, lowes). some pool stores carry it, but one pool store near me wont carry it. says it raises their insurance (not so sure there, they may just want to sell their own dry acid product).

Yea, TA is too high. pH close to being high. Bring the pH down to 7.2 and aerate. A fountain would work. You could turn one of the return jets up toward the surface. That can cut down on the surface circulation some, but it shouldnt be a problem. You just want to put some air in the water to outgas some of the CO2. That will make the pH rise. You get the pH back up, then lower again with MA. slow process, but the chemistry behind it is sound.

Thanks. We only have 1 return jet so I can only do that or the fountain (if the fountain hooks to the return like I think it does) at one time. I was wondering which one would work better? Any thoughts?

I would test your fill water and see if it happens to have low t/a fill water....a partial water replacement may have a dual benefit in that case if you can lower your CYA and TA.

A PH of 7.8 should be your upper limit...your ideal range is 7.4-7.6 and you do not want your PH above 7.8.

lowering your TA should help you keep your PH in the 7.4-7.6 range

the fountain will work best in your case...pool stores usually have them for around $20

Depending on your CH and water temp, you may be at risk for scaling, so that would be a reason to bring down the TA. You can check your CSI (calcium saturation index) using the Pool Calculator.

Aeration will bring your pH back up faster and so shorten the time it takes for the whole process. If you're not in any hurry then you can just wait for the pH to come back up by itself. Of course fussing with the pool like this can be fun too.
--paulr

Ok, so I tested our fill water for TA and it was high, like 240! Does that make sense? Would well water have the high of TA?

If that's accurate, then I probably shouldn't do the partial refill for TA and CYA right?

If I need to take care of CYA and TA, which one would be more important? Should I do a partial refill to lower the CYA, then start working on the TA and PH?

Oh, and my CH is 110, is that ok?

Well water can certainly have high TA. In some places it can also have a high CH. You should check that too.

The only way to lower CYA is by draining and refilling, so you do that first. Then you can lower TA using acid, with aeration if you want to make it go faster.
--paulr

what paul said...my fill water TA was 330...and CH was on the high side as well.

If you do a 1/3 drain refill...you CYA should be all set...then you will need a few gallons of MA and areation to bring the PA down. Even with higher CH numbers, as long as you do not allow you pool water to rise above 7.8PH, scaling is a non issue

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.