Bought A Pool, And They Threw In A House. Total New Guy to a Pool

MattV

Oct 10, 2016
Austin
Hello......

Closing on a house tomorrow. It's our first. It's a dream of mine to have a pool.

I know nothing about pools........ I'll probably be asking y'all all kinds of questions.

I'll get specifics of the pool shortly..... and post. Would love the help.

This place looks like an awesome community and resource to assist people. Woooo hoooooo!!!!!

I do have a pool service person coming out to give a lesson/tutorial about the pool. I thought that was a good idea.

Hello..........

How exciting!!!!!!!! What an adventure you will be on! I can't wait to see the pool (and house LOL).

You are going to love it here! Do me a favor please. Look in my signature and go ahead and order a test kit so it will be there sooner rather than later. I KNOW you are dropping a LOT of money right now on the house BUT this INVESTMENT in the pool will pay you back big time if it saves you from trips to the Pool $tore.

Kim:kim:

Hi and welcome to TFP.
Owning a pool is a very rewarding experience if you know how to maintain it and keep the water clean. TFP is all about teaching people how to do that econimically. Alternately, if you maintain it incorrectly, it can be a very expensive not so pleasant experience

You'll need a really good test kit and I recommend the TF100 available at TFTestkits.net. Order that right away. You're gonna need it. While you're waiting for it to arrive, click on the Pool School button start with the basics by learning some of the lingo and then go from there.

When possible, please fill out our signature with your pool and equipment details, knowing that will help us help you when the time comes for you to ask questions.

Enjoy TFP and we look forward to having you around

Just a heads up...this site is very much for the "DIY pool person". The information you hear from the pool service guy you have coming out may, or may not, conflict with the teachings here. Start reading as mentioned above. Knowledge is power.

:wave: Welcome to TFP MattV

Congratulations on the house and pool. Toss up some photos when you have a chance. OK, the house too if you have to. ;)

Matt,

The best thing you can learn from your pool service guy is what things are called, what valves control what actions, how to backwash or clean your filter, and other physical things about your pool. I would be very skeptical about any advice they might give you on how to maintain the chemical balance of your pool water.

Jim R.

Thanks everyone for the info and greetings. I've only been on this site a couple of days, but am learning a lot.

This is the funny thing about the pool service person I have coming out for a tutorial. I had called three others to check on pricing, and all said I would need about 4 visits a month at 50 dollars a visit, not including chemicals.

So I call and talk to the guy that is coming over, and tell him that I am looking for someone to service my pool. And he flat out tells me, "I don't need anyone to do that for me, I can do it myself. It's not rocket science. He is at a 80 year old's pool right now and that guy keeps his pool blue. He says "don't go to pool stores, buy the stuff at Cosco". He pretty much wont accept that I think I need someone to routinely service the pool. And he just keeps going on and on......... it's not rocket science, you can do it yourself. I have to cut him off actually to end the phone call.

Anyway, that guy seems like a character and I'm looking forward to meeting him. He's just going to go over how to use and look after the pool. I guess if something breaks is when I call him.

The house is officially ours as of today. I should be able to go over and get some pictures and more info about the pool tomorrow.

When we did our inspection I took some pictures of the pool and equipment. I've been looking over some youtube vids on how the equipment works.

Here are some picts.

P1020954.jpg

Here is the equipment.

P1020962.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

whoops...... wanted to post another couple of pictures, but it looks like I already met my quota of file size posting.

Well. I now pretty much understand what is happening with most of the equipment. I don't know the quality or how to maintain it, but I'll get there soon.

You've got a puck chlorinator along with an ozone device- Neither do we recommend for day to day outdoor pool use. The pucks will cause an accumulation of cyanuric acid (aka CYA aka stabilizer) if you're not careful with their use. The ozone is pretty much useless in an outdoor pool in a sunny clime, although they have their uses in spas and indoor pools.

Hey! You got a heater too! That'll extend your swim season nicely :)

Congrats on the new pool (and house!).... fun times ahead!!!

Yip :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice looking pool!!!

For the pictures you can do one of two things:

-Become a supporting member as seen here:

CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!

-Use Photo Bucket or such

We can't wait to help you get the water balanced and looking even better. Once we get it set up it will sparkle like a jewel! Right now it looks a little flat.

Most of us find it hard to swim in non-TFP pools as our pools look and feel much better than other pools.

For right now order your test kit. It needs to be the Taylor 2006 (NOT 2005 as it is missing a major test we use) or the TF-100 (my fav since it has more of the regents we use on a daily basis).

Here is a set of links I put together for new pool owners. It is a lot of info so take it a bite at a time:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Kim:kim: