First time closing questions

Aug 1, 2016
Clay, NY
Hello all,

Today my wife and I performed the necessary steps to prepare the pool for closing. We increased the FC to shock level, dropped the water level to approximately 4" below the return, and blew out the lines (previous owner had filter installed on an equipment pad approximately 30 feet away so lines run underground). We just need to cover it. I have two questions:

1. Is it absolutely necessary to ensure every drop of water is removed from the lines? I think we got the vast majority of the water but there may be some pooling in the line underground. With no way to check, is it a big deal if there's a little in there?

2. Since we're in NY, should we have something under the cover for the winter for freezes? I could probably get a plastic 55 gallon drum from work; is it necessary?

Thanks in advance!

1. Is it absolutely necessary to ensure every drop of water is removed from the lines? I think we got the vast majority of the water but there may be some pooling in the line underground. With no way to check, is it a big deal if there's a little in there?

No, if you allowed the blower to run for about 45 seconds to 1 minute on each area, then you are fine. It really also depends on what you used to blow out the lines.

2. Since we're in NY, should we have something under the cover for the winter for freezes? I could probably get a plastic 55 gallon drum from work; is it necessary?

What type of cover? Probably not needed.

Adding RV water system antifreeze is great insurance for what you might have left in the pipes. Available at auto parts store, big box, hardware, .... Look for it on sale.

Attachments

• Antifreeze RV.jpg
    Antifreeze RV.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 72
That's a one dollar rebate offer. Walk in price should be some where $2.50 to $5.00 a gallon. Doesn't matter what brand you get.

Okay thanks everyone! We have a solid winter cover and the manual does say it's designed to sit on the water so I don't think I'll use anything under it!

i think I'll also add a bit of RV antifreeze to the lines. Thanks for the speedy responses!

On line, it is $30 per gallon (Wow). I skip the Anti-Freeze all together.

Last year, I took a 4' 3" schedule 40 PVC (filled with water 95% level) with cap and it was closed off. Left outside leaning against deck all winter through the cold. In the spring, popped it open with rubber mallet (other side glued) of course and there was no damage from expansion. I think it is underground water that freezes and expands causing pressure everywhere that could potentially lead to a problem. This is why drainage around a pool is so important long term.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.