In-Ground Leak

Jun 19, 2015
Fairfield Twp, OH
I have been attempting to find a leak myself that cost me about 150 gallons a day through the summer by letting the water level drop until it stops. It is now, a month later, a few inches below the top of the light. Past the skimmer, shallow end returns and deep end returns. Only things left are the light, main drain and the liner.

Anyone have any wisdom for finding the problem? Things I should look for? Or should I throw in the towel and find someone to come take care of it for me?

Thanks!

If it stopped half way down the light, I would suspect that. To confirm, pump another 6" of water out of the pool then leave for a couple days to see if the level drops or not. If it drops - leak is elsewhere. If it doesn't - leak is in that 6" "layer" of the liner around the pool or more likely in the light itself.

Can you get in the pool to see if the water level is flush with the conduit fitting on the light niche?

Or should I throw in the towel and find someone to come take care of it for me?

Thanks!

I fought the urge to throw in the towel for a full season and added water. The following year i hired a guy and it was money well spent. They put a slight electric charge in the pool and a ground rod outside and the only way that electricity gets to ground is through a hole in your liner. They have directional listening devices that allow them to pinpoint all of the leaks and then they remove the charge, put on their gear and go patch the holes.

Cost me $200 and was money well spent!

I'll check again this evening to see if the water level has in fact stopped on the light. I was just noting where the level had gotten to at that point, not saying that it had settled there. I did have the light out at some point this summer as when brushing it, it popped out and floated to the surface. I took the opportunity to clean out the niche and reinstalled it. I noticed that the screw was worn out so it was just acting as a pin holding it in there. Another thing on the list to fix.

- - - Updated - - -

ship of fools, what was that service called in your area? I'll try to find someone around here that does that because $200 is less than I spent in water this summer!

I'll check again this evening to see if the water level has in fact stopped on the light. I was just noting where the level had gotten to at that point, not saying that it had settled there. I did have the light out at some point this summer as when brushing it, it popped out and floated to the surface. I took the opportunity to clean out the niche and reinstalled it. I noticed that the screw was worn out so it was just acting as a pin holding it in there. Another thing on the list to fix.

- - - Updated - - -

ship of fools, what was that service called in your area? I'll try to find someone around here that does that because $200 is less than I spent in water this summer!

I just looked for "leak detection" or something along those lines. You might be able to get names from the local pool store as well.

I fought the urge to throw in the towel for a full season and added water. The following year i hired a guy and it was money well spent. They put a slight electric charge in the pool and a ground rod outside and the only way that electricity gets to ground is through a hole in your liner. They have directional listening devices that allow them to pinpoint all of the leaks and then they remove the charge, put on their gear and go patch the holes.

Cost me $200 and was money well spent!

That's the leaktrac 2100 -- man I love that tool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.