Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: can't seem to keep balanced

1. Back To Top    #1

can't seem to keep balanced

Here are the latest readings using TF100. We have 22,500 gal AG/vinyl, use BBB

FC = 1.5
    CC= .5
    TC = 2.0
    ph = 7.0-7.2
    T/A = 140
    CYA = 27
    temp = 72

OK, the obvious...add bleach! However here are my concerns... I'm not sure I understand that whole concept. I always assumed if you don't have enough stabilizer, then the Cl will just burn off continually. But if I increase CYA, then I will just need to keep adding more bleach for that amt of stabilizer...is this correct? If yes, what else is preventing me from maintaining any sort of Cl even after I add bleach to get it up to the 4 level? Water is crystal clear. Also, I keep trying to slowly play with raising pH. I was able to get my T/A down from 170 to 140, so hate to go crazy with borax. I understand borax has the least affect on T/A but how much can I safely add before my TA goes skyward again?
    22,500 gal A.G., vinyl, sta rite cristal sand filter & pump (1.5 h.p.), BBB method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: can't seem to keep balanced

The higher your CYA level, the higher you need your FC level to be, but the less chlorine you will use in total. Even though you have to maintain a higher FC level, you use less chlorine keeping it there.

You might want to raise your PH to 7.2 with borax, but don't add anything to raise it above that (assuming you are not using trichlor). The PH should go up on it's own, though that might take a while.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. What do you feel would be a good level to get my CYA up to...On inside cover of TF 100 kit is says 30-70 is good for most pools...this site says 30-50. Not sure how high to take it. We do not use pucks...just straight bleach. Which order should I add chems...stabilzer first or borax? And how long should I wait between...couple hours?
    22,500 gal A.G., vinyl, sta rite cristal sand filter & pump (1.5 h.p.), BBB method

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by spf30
    Thanks for the reply. What do you feel would be a good level to get my CYA up to...On inside cover of TF 100 kit is says 30-70 is good for most pools...this site says 30-50. Not sure how high to take it. We do not use pucks...just straight bleach. Which order should I add chems...stabilzer first or borax? And how long should I wait between...couple hours?
    CYA depends on where you live and the location of your pool with regard to sunlight vs. shade.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

spf30, if you do not have an SWG, 30-50 works well depending, as John said, on how far South you live and how much sun you get. 60-70 if you have an SWG.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Pool has southern exposure so full sun all day, Central IL area, no SWG...so what does that tell me??

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

30-50 will work....I'd target 40 and watch the chlorine consumption. If it's higher than 2ppm daily, I'd go to 50.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School