1st Time Pool Owner - New Install Closing Questions

My pool is in the ground but not running yet. The installers should have it running soon and I plan on running it for 2 weeks or so before closing it for the Winter. My pool guy wants several hundred to close it and I would prefer to do it myself but hesitant because I have never owned a pool before and have no experience at all. If I do decide to close it myself, I planning on purchasing the following:

1. Cyclone Blower
2. Plugs for 2 jets
3. Plug and cap for skimmer
4. Antifreeze
5. Small Pool Chemical Closing Kit
6. Water Chemistry Test Kit

Is this too ambitious a project for a brand new owner? Anything I am missing? Also, since it is brand new, is there anything different I need to do the first time closing it?

My backup plan is to have the pool guy do it the first year, watch & learn, and then do it going forward.

Thanks

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Closing is a little more involved than opening (I'd never pay to have my pool opened, it's so easy) but very doable if you have the right equipment and do some research on how it's done. There's a guide here on TFP, lots of videos on youtube and we're here to answer any questions you might have.

The blower, plugs and antifreeze are really all you need. You can also add an algaecide (polyquat-60 is the only one recommended here) during closing. Purchasing a "closing kit" is not necessary. They typically contain shock products, weak algaecides and perhaps a metal sequestrant or scale inhibitor. You don't need any of that. Just purchase a good algaecide seperately if you want to use it. Review the article here and peruse some videos on youtube. Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

You'll need a test kit for managing your pool next year anyway and you need a quality kit to maintain your chemistry properly. Pool store testing is generally inaccurate and inconvenient so a home test kit is the best bet. Literally one of the most important investments for your pool. Check out our test kit comparison: Pool School - Test Kits Compared The best kit available and also the best value is the TF-100 from tftestkits.net. If you get that kit now and store it properly, it will certainly last you through next summer.

iFit:

Please read up on the information from JVTrain. I would not recommend watching the pool company or hiring them this year. You have made a wonderful decision to purchase the Cyclone. It is actually less expensive than prior years. Below, I have linked a thread with the 3' 1.5" hose that you will need. Even though I created a modified cover, ironically the hose is flexible enough to be inserted in the pump basket. One side is just pressed against opening.

1. Cyclone Blower (EXCELLENT CHOICE)

2. Plugs for 2 jets (PLEASE ONLY USE THE BLACK RUBBER EXPANDABLE PLUGS)- PURCHASE 2 ADDITIONAL PLUGS (# 11 & # 10) FOR PUMP BASKET HOUSING. YOU HAVE SAME MODEL

3. Plug and cap for skimmer (WOULD RECOMMEND A GIZMO)

4. Antifreeze (IMHO, NOT NEEDED. BUT A COMFORT LEVEL FOR YOU. WESTCHESTER IS COLD, BUT NOT THAT COLD)

5. Small Pool Chemical Closing Kit. (ONLY ITEMS NEEDED ARE LIQUID BLEACH AND KEMTEK POLY-QUAT 60) and the algaecide can be purchased on Amazon.

6. Water Chemistry Test Kit (EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. PLEASE PURCHASE ONE OF THE RECOMMENDED TEST KITS AND HIGHLY SUGGEST SPEED STIR)

Modified Cover for Swimming Pools

Modified Cover for Hayward Super Pump for Closing Swimming Pool

Your pool guy may close it differently than you would. So forget him.

It is highly suggested you lower the water 2" below the skimmers. With your pool, close the main drain and blow out the skimmers and vacuum while water is gushing out. Then close the skimmer with a Gizmo. Now open the main drain and allow the main drain to bubble for 45 seconds to 1 minute (a lot of fun watching the wave). Close the valve first and quickly shut off blower. Now as a secondary precaution plug the suction side with a black rubber plug.

Now, set the filter to circulate and start pushing air to the return jets. Allow to run for a few seconds (at least 30). You may find that both of them will blow as the Cyclone is real powerful. Plug the first return (use goggles to make sure there are no leaks). Now move on to the next and plug the second return. Have someone shut off the Cyclone within a few seconds not to build backpressure.

Next winterize your filter and equipment. I no longer remove any plugs from the pump basket. If completely dry and closed, there is no need and you could eventually strip them, which in turn will cost a lot to replace.

Winterizing your Sand Filter (same as other sand filters with multi-port)

Interesting to note: Hayward Manual for the S244T 24" 300# sand filter, states only this in their instructions for winterizing:

WINTERIZING

1. Completely drain tank by unscrewing drain cap at base of filter tank. Leave cap off during winter.

2. Depress Vari-Flo control valve handle and rotate so as to set pointer on valve top between any two positions. This will allow water to drain from the valve. Leave valve in this "inactive" position.

winterizing with a sand filter

Any questions, please write back. Pictures are always helpful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.