Bronze Supporter
Mar 26, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My PH always seems to raise toward the high side, 7-7 to 7.9 or so.

The remainder of my pool remains in balance. CYA 60-70, 5.0-7.5 chlorine with 0 CC.

I add acid to lower it to 7.4 or so every month or so. Is there any harm in leaving it at 7.8 ph?

As of today my FC is 5.5, CC is 0, TA is 90, CH 400 and the CYA level is 60.

It just seems that the PH likes to settle around 7.6-7.8. I lowered my TA this summer (from around 120) by lowering the PH and splashing around in the pool, but now that swim season is over that shouldn't be an issue.

I wonder if I should keep adding acid on a bi-monthly basis to chase 7.4 PH.

Thanks!

Do you have an SWG or are you adding liquid chlorine (bleach) manually? An SWG will raise the pH due to carbonation effects inside the SWG. I live in AZ and I use an SWG to chlorinate my pool. While every pool is different, my pool chemistry (FC, TA, CH, and CYA) is very similar to yours. PoolMath calculates my CSI value at -0.16, which is well within the TFP recommended range. Sounds to me like you're chasing a pH value that isn't necessary.

My pool was built in 2013 and, after the first year, the pH now tends to stay near 7.6-7.8. I do have a Pentair IntellipH system to inject MA to prevent the pH from climbing above 7.8. My pool is sparking clear ever since I embraced the TFP methods and advice. :D

Absolutely fine to let pH hang out at 7.6 to 7.8. No need to chase 7.4. When pH gets to 8.0 lower it to 7.4 or so, that will slowly lower your TA a bit more. It is fine to let your TA drop as low as 60.

I use liquid bleach from Costco, that's it.

The pool seemed to hold 7.4 for about 5-7 days and then it would hold 7.8 for 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for the information, it's extremely helpful!

I am also in Phoenix and my numbers are very similar to yours. For now I have closed my aerator, but the pH still creeps up. I will do a full test this weekend and see where I am, but the last time pH was 8.0 or just below, with 2 drops putting me in the 7.6 range. I added 24oz of 31.45% MA. My last TA was 90, but it will probably be down when I test it again.

Since all our numbers are very similar, what is your daily consumption of bleach? With 8.25% I averaged around 16oz, and now with 10% around 12-14oz per day.

I add one gallon at a time. There is no reason not to just add the entire gallon at one time. (not that I know of anyways!)

My daily consumption of bleach really varies upon the temperature/use of the pool. During the summer months when the temperature of the pool is 88-92 degrees I use around 12 gallons of bleach a month. I test daily, sometimes twice a day.

When the cool-down begins and the water temperature drops to below 80 I test around three times a week. I probably use 3-4 gallons a month then.

I'm going to get rid of my hot tub sometime soon and install a pool heat pump. Then we can get a lot more use out of our pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.