New Build - Long Island, NY

The fire place looks awesome!! I love it! They did some good work there!

The spa coping looks great also. They did a good job cutting the corners. That can be the make or break place for that area. I did not even notice the grout color or even notice it. I think you will do fine leaving it. Thank goodness the landscapers came by to make them do even sizes :roll: yeah I would not like it any other way.

Water line tile in the spa-I see why they are doing the spa tile like they are when you look at the pool from the other end. It lines up with the pool tile best that way. If YOU want more tile in the spa say so! It is YOUR money! Make sure this is being done how YOU want. The PB is NOT the one living with it.

Tile grout-INSIST on them using what YOU want. I would be there when they showed up to the do the grout and ask to see the color. If it is not the color you want send them back to the shop to get the correct stuff. They have grout color sticks you can use to put by your tile to see which color you like the best. Ask to see them and take them out to where the pool is and compare and pick the color you like.

I am not sure why YOU had to pay extra for the coping tile and such. If THEY made the mistake it is on THEM to pony up the money. I may be missing something.

Kim:kim:

I think it looks gorgeous! I understand what you mean by the grout lines on the spa but I also think the way they did it looks really good. I wouldn't have them change it -- especially given the delay and additional cost that would entail. One option might be to simply have them regrout the spa tiles with a lighter grout.

Regarding the glass tiles, stick to your guns on the tinted grout. White grout looks very stark (like toothpaste) when new and also tends to show any stains more easily as it ages. I don't think it makes the tile pop. It makes the grout pop.
We used pale grey tinted grout as well as pale grey thinset. If you can, have them do a small mockup board with glass tile samples showing the actual grout choices applied.

Also, I love your fireplace! May I ask what brand you have for the kit part? It is very pretty.

So...we're changing the spa coping. :D Both my husband I just aren't feeling what's currently there. It's just not what we pictured in our minds. (Thankfully we're both on the same page and it's not just me being nit-picky. ;) ) We can't really blame the PB though, so we're having 2" thick coping cut with a bull nose on both sides. Unfortunately it won't be ready until next Friday. Then they have to remove what's there now and re-install.

My husband's drawings for the stone company:

SpaCoping.jpg

The fire place looks awesome!! I love it! They did some good work there!

The spa coping looks great also. They did a good job cutting the corners. That can be the make or break place for that area. I did not even notice the grout color or even notice it. I think you will do fine leaving it. Thank goodness the landscapers came by to make them do even sizes :roll: yeah I would not like it any other way.

Water line tile in the spa-I see why they are doing the spa tile like they are when you look at the pool from the other end. It lines up with the pool tile best that way. If YOU want more tile in the spa say so! It is YOUR money! Make sure this is being done how YOU want. The PB is NOT the one living with it.

Tile grout-INSIST on them using what YOU want. I would be there when they showed up to the do the grout and ask to see the color. If it is not the color you want send them back to the shop to get the correct stuff. They have grout color sticks you can use to put by your tile to see which color you like the best. Ask to see them and take them out to where the pool is and compare and pick the color you like.

I am not sure why YOU had to pay extra for the coping tile and such. If THEY made the mistake it is on THEM to pony up the money. I may be missing something.

Apparently when the owner of our landscaping company was trying to speak with the tile contractor, the tile contractor didn't want to hear it. We've been working with this landscaper for almost 20 years, so he knows what we like and don't like and how we'll respond. he told the guy "Listen...all I can tell you is that if he comes home and doesn't like the way it looks, you'll be ripping it out and it will be on your dime." (This was in regard to the mitered corners and making all the other coping equal in size.) The tile contractor finally relented.

i think u are fine with the grout lines too. i didn't notice them. the line about the grout lines being needs for watertight is bull. grout is no where near watertight.

I misunderstood what the PB told my husband. The PB explained that he had done another spa that was somewhat submerged like ours, but because it had a lot of butt joints, the spa water kept flowing through them and as a result, the water in the spa had difficulty keeping temperature. Based on our new coping layout, there will only be 4 butt joints and we're willing to take that risk. (Technically, the spa water is supposed to sit 1" below the top of the spa when in spa mode.) My husband even said we could use an epoxy in the joints down the road if we find that we have a problem with it.

Can I just say I think the tile and grout look great on the spa. Those corners look excellent to my novice eyes.

Maddie :flower:

Thank you. :) It looks good, I guess it's just not what we had envisioned in our minds.

One of our other concerns is the corners and how they'll rub on the autocover. They protrude a bit more than we anticipated, so we're having the stone company soften/round the corners on the new coping in hopes to lessen the pressure/friction. We also decided having a bullnose edge would be better for those leaning against the wall & coping in the spa. My husband also preferred the look of the 2" compared to the 1 1/4" that's on their now because it's what we used on the rest of the pool.

I think it looks gorgeous! I understand what you mean by the grout lines on the spa but I also think the way they did it looks really good. I wouldn't have them change it -- especially given the delay and additional cost that would entail. One option might be to simply have them regrout the spa tiles with a lighter grout.

Regarding the glass tiles, stick to your guns on the tinted grout. White grout looks very stark (like toothpaste) when new and also tends to show any stains more easily as it ages. I don't think it makes the tile pop. It makes the grout pop.
We used pale grey tinted grout as well as pale grey thinset. If you can, have them do a small mockup board with glass tile samples showing the actual grout choices applied.

Also, I love your fireplace! May I ask what brand you have for the kit part? It is very pretty.

I don't know who makes the fireplace. :oops: Neither does my husband (I asked.) We were driving by a local stone yard when I saw the concrete kit, so I made my husband go in to ask about the price. :D (It was cheaper than he expected, which is how we ended up with one in our backyard. ;) )

Exactly! With the white grout, the grout pops, not the tile!!! People think I'm crazy when I say this stuff. LOL (Thankfully my husband agrees with me, but he can still blame the "crazy" on me. ;) )

My husband spoke with the PB quite a bit over the past couple of days. The PB said the grout on the spa would lighten considerably, but he understood how/why we felt about the spa coping & grout lines. He explained that if we're unhappy with it, we should do something about it and he was willing to work with us. So he's bringing in a different crew to remove and install the new coping when it arrives. He's going to have the tile contractor still do the tile install because he's really good at that. (PB stated the tile contractor doesn't normally do coping.)

PB also agreed to make sure we get our tinted grout. We're going with the Laticrete SpectraLock in Sea Glass.

The plaster guy was here today as well and he told my husband that the tiles we picked out will go perfect with the Pebblesheen Irish Mist. (I'm still trying to convince my husband to do the jade glass beads. :D ) We also made the plaster guy's day when we told him we wouldn't be ready to plaster until after Memorial Day. LOL He also said it's a fairly cut and dry job. 1/2 day of plaster, then it's 1/2 day of acid wash.

Win-win................if you BOTH do not like it then time to redo for sure.

I am GLAD to hear the PB is sending a different crew. Smart man.

Is there ANY way you can be there when they start the grout on the glass tile? Just to make sure they DO have the colored grout?

:hug: I bet you are happier now!

The plaster guy was here today as well and he told my husband that the tiles we picked out will go perfect with the Pebblesheen Irish Mist. (I'm still trying to convince my husband to do the jade glass beads. :D ) We also made the plaster guy's day when we told him we wouldn't be ready to plaster until after Memorial Day. LOL He also said it's a fairly cut and dry job. 1/2 day of plaster, then it's 1/2 day of acid wash.

Is your plaster guy named Rob by any chance with the main business in CT? We went with a Pebble Fina install a few years ago and probably should have done a lighter shade since we have some pretty severe mottling that doesn't appear to be fixable. I think the acid process for sheen is different than fina, so you will probably be OK.

Apparently when the owner of our landscaping company was trying to speak with the tile contractor, the tile contractor didn't want to hear it. We've been working with this landscaper for almost 20 years, so he knows what we like and don't like and how we'll respond. he told the guy "Listen...all I can tell you is that if he comes home and doesn't like the way it looks, you'll be ripping it out and it will be on your dime." (This was in regard to the mitered corners and making all the other coping equal in size.) The tile contractor finally relented.

I really don't understand why people don't listen to the client. If what the client is asking for takes longer and costs more, then mention that and see if they are willing to pay for it, otherwise I don't understand why contractors just do what they want sometimes (particularly if it ends up costing them money)

PB also agreed to make sure we get our tinted grout. We're going with the Laticrete SpectraLock in Sea Glass.

Just be aware that tinted grout can fade with time and change color, particularly the darker colors.

Things are moving along again. It's either a stand still or a mad rush.

Pool guys just showed up asking what color fittings did I want...white or gray? Of course when I asked my husband this question last month, I was told we already had all the fittings and they were white.

Well, being that I had 1 minute to make the decision, I opted for gray with the rational that it won't be as stark in the water and will hopefully blend in with the Irish Mist Pebblesheen. Any thoughts or opinions? The pebbletech guys are supposed to be here next week. I guess the pool guys are cleaning out/down the pool.

Here's where we are today:
IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3538.jpg

We changed the spa coping to 2" thick with bullnose edge. It cost us a bit of money & time, but both my husband and I feel it was worth it.

IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_3533.jpg

The autocover box. The travertine (in the back of our yard at he moment) will hang about an 1" over the glass tile edge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is your plaster guy named Rob by any chance with the main business in CT? We went with a Pebble Fina install a few years ago and probably should have done a lighter shade since we have some pretty severe mottling that doesn't appear to be fixable. I think the acid process for sheen is different than fina, so you will probably be OK.

Yeah, I think it's the same company. My husband said the guy he originally spoke with was Rob and the crew that showed up yesterday said they come from CT. I didn't catch the name of the company or where in CT they're located.

My husband is angry...to put it lightly.

We were supposed to completed over 6 weeks ago and we're originally promised to be completed by Memorial Day. Well, here we are and it looks like we may not be ready until July. (And I have 2 kids' birthdays in July...we were hoping to have pool parties, one of the reasons why we started last October...so we'd be ready/up and running by the end of Spring!)

PB told us on Sunday we were scheduled for the PebbleTec guys on Tues. My husband looked at the radar and they were predicting rain, so he knew they'd show up and say we can't do it. Which is exactly what happened yesterday. PB has told us they don't schedule until Friday, so the earliest they'll be here is next week. Why the heck would the PebbleTec guys drive all the way to LI in the rain while watching the radar to tell us they can't do it!?! They mentioned to my husband they were concerned about the front coming back down...so why bother driving to the job? Seems like a waste of time/gas to me...unless they went to another job.

PB still has to install the slide and autocover.

Ugh...I'm just staying away from my husband.

WHAT??????? That is not fair :( I have a sad for you and your kids :( gurrrrrrrrrr Bad PB, BAD!

Just do what is right and do it when it is supposed to be done!!!!

Kim (NO cheering on this one!)

LOL. The kids don't seem to be fazed by the fact that the pool isn't complete. It's my husband and I that are going crazy. Pebbletec guys came today and now that the kids see "blue", they're getting excited. My soon to be 11 yr old daughter was trying on her bathing suits to see if they fit unprompted and one of my sons asked for a new swimsuit while we were shopping at Target. :D

Looks great

Thank you!

It's definitely looking better now that the pebblesheen is on!

IMG_3667_zpsbwbjdcqa.jpg

IMG_3665_zps9cjymg0g.jpg

IMG_3663_zpsuixd0ms8.jpg

IMG_3662_zpselgdnrvv.jpg

IMG_3664_zpsmkbbyen8.jpg

Acid wash is tomorrow. :)

Wow!!! That looks gorgeous already! Can't wait to see the final! Also, it looks like they did a great job on the auto cover well. Notching the bond beam like that will allow the cover to tuck away under the walkon (stone) lid.

Wrap a washcloth or such around the ends of the water hoses to help "filter" the water and protect the new plaster from the metal part of the hose. The hoses should be placed right by the main drains so the water will not cause a "stream" down the plaster. Do NOT allow the spa to overflow into the pool until there is water in the pool. It can cause streaking.

Acid wash was done today. Some things concern me. My husband will be getting in touch with the PB to see what the deal is. (I'm also trying not to be nit picky, as I don't know what's "normal" for Pebbletec finishes.

Brown spots in spa and in pool. I'm assuming it's from a few leaves that fell in the pool overnight and it rained, so they left marks. Will they go away?
IMG_3695_zpsmnu2gczj.jpg

IMG_3677_zpsklltnndt.jpg

There are a bunch of smooth spots where the autocover will retract. Is that normal?
IMG_3692_zpsq4dsrna1.jpg

Along the length of the pool, on the bottom from shallow to deep, it looks like it streaked. Again, I don't know if I'm just seeing things? If it won't be visible when water is in the pool? Am I being nit picky??
IMG_3689_zpsgsddfu9m.jpg

left side in this photo:
IMG_3683_zpsnuj0t9pc.jpg

And I need to put a rag/cloth on the hose...because I trust KimKats!!! :) (I told my husband what you posted last night and I was curious to see what the plaster company would do. :/ )

IMG_3682_zpscz8yhxi9.jpg

Any thoughts? Words of widsom? ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.