closed the pool for the first time..no extra equipment needed

Jan 31, 2016
New York
figured out a cheap way to drain my pool...I just turned my filter to WASTE...
took my pool vacuum hose, wrapped plumber's tape around it to create a seal..stick one end into my skimmer ...the other end into the pool...drained like 1 feet of water below the skimmer line...enough to go below the returns..
checked to make sure my sewage pipes aren't overflowing...worked like a charm...

and I didn't even need a bilge pump to pump out the skimmer when i blew out the lines..sticked the same pool vacuum hose in there and direct the water back to the pool...works better than a bilge pump....plugged it and stuff the skimmer with short pieces of pool noodles...no gizmo needed...

have an air compressor already...blew out all the lines

did not have to buy anything except new plugs, one pool noodle, eyeball removal tool and pool shock/algaecide...cost me $50...it will cost me $10 next year...i still have 1/2 bottle of algaecide

my pool guy said it's too expensive to do it myself ...proved him wrong

Last edited:
I closed mine today,, talk about no extra equipment - I didn't even use a vac,, I just took some deep breaths and blew out the drain & return lines. My wife commented that I had rosey red cheeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.