Help with high cyanuric acid

sharoncbrn

Bronze Supporter
Oct 12, 2009
Hello, we have had a pool for 6 years now. For a few years we had a pool service taking care of it, 3 months ago we start to take the maintenance ourselves. A few weeks ago the pool started getting green and greener, the test stripes results were nothing out of the normal. I took a sample to Leslie's pool Service, CYA 240, (range 30-99ppm). The guy recommended using their expensive Bi-Active product, plus the reviews were not good OR draining our pool 2 feet and refilling the pool with fresh water and the run the pool filter 24 hours, and the repeat process 2 more times.

Does this sound right? If so is there any other steps that should be done?

Should I tried to brush off the alege?

Should I add bleach to the pool each time the pool is refilled?

Please an help would greatly appreciated.

There is no way you can beat the algae with your CYA so high BUT we really do not know just how high it is without a good test kit.

How did the Pool $tore get the CYA number? The test only goes up to 100 so..........(of course we have figured out a way to test for higher but most pool store do not know how to do it or care to).

Since your pool is turning green I suggest you get the TF-100 XL. Any other kit you will end up paying more as you WILL run out of the test regents you need.

I would not do anything except adding 1 gal of chlorine each day until your test kit gets there.

While you are waiting for you test kit you can start reading this:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

That is the corner stone of TFP. It is the whys and hows of what we teach and do. It is all science based as well as daily testing in thousands of pools each day.

What has happened is your CYA got SO high you FC (free chlorine) cannot do it's job of keeping your pool clear. The pool store is correct you do will end up draining some water BUT do NOT do so yet.....we need you to test your water to see how high the CYA is.

We can help you clear your pool AND balance the water so that your wallet will have more money in it AND it will look better than it ever has before!

Kim:kim:

That's easy. Most services use pucks or other solid forms of chlorine. Depending on the type, they add around 6ppm CYA for every 10ppm chlorine.. The chlorine goes away but the CYA doesn't. Over time it builds up until you end up with what you have now.

CYA is in tablets and powdered shock (bags and loose in bucket), etc. Look at what Bob told you and do the math.

Your pool does need SOME CYA but once it gets over 70 things start going bad.

Most of us here use some form of liquid chlorine/bleach (same stuff, just different %). Several also have SWG Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators This is still a chlorine pool but the SWG generates the chlorine from the salt.

Let us know how you have been adding FC (free chlorine) up until now.

Kim :kim:

Thanks for all the replies. I was out of town for several days, based on Leslie's recommendation my husband drained approximately 3 feet and spa and refilled. And for 3 days we have drained more than 1/2 of the pool and are now refilling. The test kit TF 100 XL should be here any day and I also ordered new filter cartridges for the pump.

Please advise: Is my next step after filling to get new test results THEN based on the rules (especially CYA reading) start the SLAMming process right???

I am going to try and attach pictures of current state before we started filling today. Hoping to get a beautiful pool back.
IMG_5008.jpgIMG_5014.jpg

I did discover in the 2 months my husband starting doing the maintenance he thought we had a 10,000 gallon pool instead of 22,000 gallon. Therefore it has been short on FC it has been receiving, I know found this site.

Welcome home! We are glad to see you again! :hug:

Fill it back up, turn on the pump, pour in 1 gal of chlorine/bleach in front of the return. That will help it keep it from getting any worse until your awesome test kit gets there.

I would also brush once or twice a day.......have hubby do it to help him learn just how big that pool is LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will pour a gallon in tonight, I bought 6 cases yesterday. Would it be alright to take a sample to Leslie's to get done. Therefore I can get starting on SLAM process, or is their results inaccurate?

Their results are SO off it would be a waste of your time :( Wait on your good test kit. I know you want to get it started NOW and I do understand but it just is not worth your time and effort. The gallon a day will get you started in the right direction.

Thank you, I will wait against my husband wishes who just wants to super shock the heck out of it. He is worry all the clean water is to be wasted! So just a 64 oz jug of the 8.25% bleach? It is now my project to handle, it is still 90 degrees here.

Please I will guidance to get my blue pool back.

Thank you, I will wait against my husband wishes who just wants to super shock the heck out of it. He is worry all the clean water is to be wasted! So just a 64 oz jug of the 8.25% bleach? It is now my project to handle, it is still 90 degrees here.

Stick to the liquid bleach, that is your best tool.
The water replacement was to remove CYA and nothing else. As long as you don't add more CYA somehow, (tablets, dichlor, trichlor, etc) then the water is not "wasted". Be careful because adding "shock" could add CYA depending on the type of "shock".

In a pool your size, that 64oz of 8.25% will only add 2ppm of chlorine. Just FYI, 1gallon = 128oz or 2x 64oz. Add 2 x 64oz jugs. It will stop it from getting worse.

Once you get the new test kit, determine your CYA & FC and others levels. Depending on the CYA level, you may have to replace more water to get to a reasonable level. The CYA/Chlorine Chart will tell you what the chlorine level needs to be at to shock at your CYA. Use Pool Math to find out the amount of chlorine to add based on pool size.

Good luck, you will get it cleaned up soon enough.

Finally received my test kit today. Here are the results ( did each several times)
FC: 5.5
CC: 1
CYA: 60
PH: 8.2
Did not do calcium and alkalinity yet.

Based on this on the pool school charts I need to do my target my FC SLAM at 24, Right? The only thing I can not figure is how bleach much to add at one time. I did the pool math and it does not make sense to this blonde. 6 oz???

Please help advise on the next steps.

Yes, the pool filter has been running 24/7 and I am brushing the pool. Thanks in advance for all the fabulous help.

That bad comma does it every time! Gurrrrrrr I did the SAME thing when I first started.

You need to get your PH down to 7.2. Use muratic acid to push it down. It might be higher than 8.2 so be ready with that in mind. Test, dose, run pump for abut 15 mins. then test and does again if needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.