Closing my green pool

Jun 15, 2013
Marietta, GA
OK. I can read that closing a clean pool is best but that's not what I have. First time mom here let the pool get out of control at the beginning of September when our robot died (I'm way too busy to vacuum it manually for weeks). So I live in Atlanta with a vinyl liner, in ground, and have a mesh safety cover. What are the potential drawbacks (besides it being more work to open) to closing without adding chemicals? Could it damage the liner?

I just plan on vacuuming up the debris at the bottom, I'm not adding chemicals because the water is already to low for the filter to run, finish draining it to just below skimmer, blow out lines, and put on cover. Of course remove ladder.

If the water is too low to run the filter in the winter anyways won't the water lose the chlorine (bleach) eventually anyways and I wouldn't be able to add more?

Thanks just want to get ready for worst possible scenario.

I won't recommend closing the pool without getting clear water as it may have a negative effect on your liner and will cost you more in chemicals when opening next year. If not treated the water will get greener and develop more algae. Not sure if will damage your liner as my pool is plaster. However, I would think that the less chemicals you add the longer your liner will last. My suggestion you should shock and balance your pool water before closing. I always close my pool with a high chlorine level usually 20-30 PPM to account for lost of it during the winter. I do not know if such high level of chlorine will be appropriate for your pool due to the liner, but closing without any chemicals and green water is not a good idea.

Uganda, how old is your liner? At the very least, make sure you close with decent ph and TA readings...if your ph gets too low, it can wrinkle/waterlog your liner. If you have metals, you could get stains that are hard to clear. If you have oak leaves, tanin stains can take a few seasons of sun and chlorine to fade.

Is your water already below the skimmer because you blew out the lines and drained the equipment? I don know if you ever get freeze temps in your area, but f you do, running the pump protects lines from freezing, so if you're not closing the lines thn you eed to bring the water up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.