New Pool should I dump the chlorinator and go to the BBB?

Jun 2, 2009
So I have a new 27' round above ground pool that was just set up and has been running for about 4 days. I have the automatic chlorinator and I am probably going to go with the BBB method. Do I remove the automatic chlorinator from my system or leaving it install and just not put any cartridges in it? Also my wife stays home with the kids, is the BBB system easy for someone pick up? I am the one who takes care of the hot tub so she has not experiance. I will be pointing her to this site. One last question should/can I use the BBB system on my hot tub also? I do have the TSF1000 test kit (I think the model is wrong, that was from memory).

Thanks

I would leave the chlorinator and just not put in any cartridges. Then if you're away for a while on vacation or something, you can load it up once and not worry about needing somebody to come fuss with the pool while you're away. Occasional use like this won't mess up the rest of your chemistry.

BBB works very well on hot tubs. What I do (prompted by chem geek and Nitro) is after a refill, use dichlor long enough to build up about 20ppm CYA, then switch to bleach. Also I use borates in the tub to manage pH, it has hardly budged in over a month. See http://www.troublefreepool.com/so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html.
--paulr

Hi and welcome. The Aquasmart is a re-branded Pool Frog - and yes, you can leave it in place, just don't put the cartridges in it. You can't use the trichlor bacpacs in it without the mineral cartridge - if this pool is "winterized" then you can remove it from the plumbing line when you close.

A regular inline chlorinator can be purchased inexpensively - if you so choose - for vacation use.

I am a SAHM, and BBB was a godsend, especially after 5 years of trouble with the Pool Frog. Your wife will be fine!

jourdanbennett said:
So I have a new 27' round above ground pool that was just set up and has been running for about 4 days. I have the automatic chlorinator and I am probably going to go with the BBB method. Do I remove the automatic chlorinator from my system or leaving it install and just not put any cartridges in it? Also my wife stays home with the kids, is the BBB system easy for someone pick up? I am the one who takes care of the hot tub so she has not experiance. I will be pointing her to this site. One last question should/can I use the BBB system on my hot tub also? I do have the TSF1000 test kit (I think the model is wrong, that was from memory).

Thanks

as far as easy ...read here...how-much-time-do-you-put-into-your-tfp-daily-t13564.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.