Adjusting water level to my inground spa: help! :)

Jun 22, 2016
Livermore
Hi. Total pool newbie. Regtangular, 80's vintage pool with square inground spa built-in. I am reasonably sure the spa shares the same pump/filter as the pool.

Here's my dilemma: when the pump is running, the water level of the spa goes all the way to the top and spills over into the pool. I am trying to figure out a way to set my "diverter valves" to keep the water level of the spa equivalent to the pool level. We NEVER use the inground spa (waaay too much to heat and we have an above ground spa elsewhere) and we would prefer to keep the water in the pool.

I hope I'm making sense. Every morning we walk out to an overflowing spa and the pool water level is down about a half an inch. It tends to starve the skimmer so we have to put water in the pool to compensate.

Anywho, I'm hoping somebody can educate me on the proper terms involved here. There seems to be this diverter valve that AUTOMATICALLY moves when the pump is on and I don't dare force it to move for fear of breaking it.

Oh man, I just re-read my message and it's clear I'm a pool dunce. Thing is, I'm pretty handy but I'm just so over my head with this pool at the moment. Am happy to take pictures of whatever if folks can steer me somewhere good.

Thanks so much!
Thomas
Livermore, CA

A picture of your equipment would help, so we can see your valve setup. If it's overflowing it means your spa return valve is open to far. Is the spa the same level as the pool ? There should be a equalizer line between them. There is so many ways builders set these up again pictures would be a great help

Tom,

If you have a valve that "automatically" moves, then you have to have some type of automation system. If you can tell us about your automation system, we might be able to help you out with this issue.

Sounds like your system is set up in the "spillover" mode. This means it takes water from your pool and sends it to your spa. As you know, this will cause the spa to fill up and overflow back into the pool. You want that to happen for an short period of time each day, to keep the water in your spa chlorinated. Fixing it, could be as simple as changing a schedule or turning off a setting.

It would help if you took a picture of your automation system, as well as telling us what else you know about it.

Jim R.

Hey folks, just reading these words started me down a good path. I'm going to take complete pictures of my pool's setup and see if I can start understanding what I've got going on back there. I just need to take the time to get good photos, ask smart questions, and reap the wisdom that is clearly on this site.

Thanks for being patient with me. I'll have an update with my next and hopefully less inane question.

Best,
Tom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.