Infinity pool water level drops to half full coming out of automatic water feed

Oct 8, 2016
Princeville/HI
Greetings to TFP members. I am new to this forum, and found it because I have a problem with my infinity pool. Thank you in advance for any help or insight you may have!

I just bought this house and it has an infinity pool. It's my first infinity pool - I have experience with a "standard" pool.

Got up in the morning and half of the water in the main pool of my infinity pool was gone. It is only half full! Further investigation shows water rising in the trough and overfilling in the automatic feed bucket. This occurred right after a weekly pool service maintenance. Could one of the valves be set incorrectly?

Thank you for any help, suggestions, etc.!

Joe,

I know nothing about an infinity pools, but logic say that if the pool is only half full, it certainly did not go over the infinity edge. So, the only way I can see the water in the trough rising is that the pump that returns the water to the pool is off, letting the water backflow through the pump into the trough. I also "assume" that there is probably a check valve that is supposed to prevent that from happening, so I'd want to check and see if that is working.

A picture of your equipment pad might help us solve this problem.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Since the trough is lower than the main pool, there is always a check valve to prevent water flowing from the main pool to the trough through the plumbing. The only way to to it without a check valve would be if the return to the main pool had a vacuum breaker higher than the surface of the main pool.

If water is flowing through the plumbing from the main pool to the trough, it's probably a bad check valve.

Thank you for your comments. I just tried attaching a picture of the pool - when it had water. Hope it worked. IMG_20160913_140518.jpg Will send plane tickets to all who want to come help me fix this pool. Love Kauai, USA! Too bad the pool looks a bit different when it's half full, but the view is still great.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you JamesW for the insight. I will have the pool service check out the check valve. It's always good to have some knowledge of what may be wrong. I'll try to post a picture of the equipment pad tomorrow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.