SWG selection and DIY install questions

Nov 22, 2015
Visalia, CA
We've only had our pool a year but I'm ready for some relief from lugging liquid chlorine 7 days a week, year-round. After researching SWGs and reading as much as I can, I still have some questions and would love some input on the following:

1. My equipment pad is currently all Pentair. I know lots of you say to stick with the same brand, but the IC40 and IC60 cells are so expensive to replace that I'm leaning towards the Circupool line-up (also for the substantially longer warranty). I know it probably wont integrate with my EasyTouch automation panel, but can I still install and use another brand SWG and just use the control unit that comes with the cell to control it?

2. I do want to take full advantage of my variable speed pump by generating chlorine at the lowest possible pump speed. Right now my pump runs mostly at 1100 rpms and it would be fantastic if that speed would satisfy the SWG. Anyone with a Circupool RJ 45/Plus, or SJ 40 or 55 who can chime in with their experience in this regard? My plumbing is 2" and my equipment pad sits maybe 10 feet from the pool and 6" or so above it (flat backyard).

3. horizontal vs vertical install: to save space, I'd be inclined to install the SWG vertically, but I won't if that will negatively impact my ability to run at low flows. I'm concerned that the extra couple of elbows might might make a difference versus the relatively straighter run of pipe in a horizontal install. Am I just being overly obsessive here?

4. Wondering if I can do the install myself. As far as plumbing, I'm fairly handy with a shovel, hacksaw and PVC cement. And I can do basic electrical- swapping outlets or installing fixtures. Is this much harder than that? There's a sub-panel at my pad that houses the EasyTouch. Is there anything else I would need or anything else I should be aware of?

5. timing: I know that SWGs won't generate when the water temp drops below 60, which will happen for me in another month or so. But I don't actuall close my pool since it's a pretty moderate climate where I'm at. Is it okay to leave the cell installed and just have it turned off during the winter, or should I plan on replacing it with a dummy bypass in the winter months? (Also, should I wait 'til the spring to install to maximize the warranty period?)

Thanks in advance! I have learned so much on this forum over the last year or so. I find myself on this site surfing "new posts" about as much as I'm on Facebook!

Sean

Sean,

Well, I have the IC40, but can answer a couple of your questions.. Each pool and plumbing is a little different, but I suspect that you will be able to run almost any SWG at 1,100 or so RPM. I run mine at 1,200. The install of a SWG is a fairly easy DIY project.

You will need to keep the SWG from turning on when the pump is not on. Since you have the EasyTouch, I suggest that you just run the SWG's AC power input through the Filter/pump relay. This is how the IC40 is wired. The SWG's flow switch is a safety back up only. The IC40 shuts off when the temp is down about 55 degrees. I suspect most SWGs shut off also. Unless you get heavy freezing weather, I see no reason to take the SWG out in the winter. The EasyTouch's freeze control should take care of any minor freezing.

The IC40, and most SWGs should be installed with at least a few inches of straight pipe before and after the cell and any flow switch device. But, I see them all the time installed right after a 90 degree fitting and have not seen any real complaints.

Jim R.

I just looked at the RJ 30 cost. Seems higher than my IC 60 by a 250 or so. I'd think an IC 40 would be even lower.

So, my guess is the controller. But if you already have a Pentair easytouch you only need the SWG unit.

Thanks Jim!

xyz: that makes sense. but what about the flow sensor? that doesn't come with just the replacement cell does it? I wonder if I can buy that component separately somewhere. Where are you seeing the IC 60 for $250 less than the RJ 30? I was looking at Discount Salt Pools with their "upgrade for a $1" promotion where the RJ 45 would be $200+ less than the IC60. the RJ 45 Plus would be $100+less. Granted I was looking at the full IC 60, not just the replacement cell.

Here are a couple pics of my set-up if it's helpful. I'm trying to decide what would be easier- digging up the pipes to create more space in front of the filter, or just moving the filter back?

IMG_2997.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Does your EasyTouch have the IntelliChlor power supply built into it? If not, then you need the IntelliChlor power supply as well as the cell.

The IC flow sensor is part of the cell, it's not separate.

Given your plumbing restrictions, I think you'd be better off with a Stenner pump than an SWG.

Ok, so if u r ok with moving the filter back, I can see a really nice, and high flow install.

Basically, move the filter away from the valve by a foot or so, and install the filter in line. You will need to shorten the line from the pump to the filter, but if u cut and add a union, that will be simple. And an IC40 will be a good size for your pool.

Do you have a connector on the on the bottom of your easytouch left size? Black, has a thread to accept the IC?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I can see you have screen logic, so u will be able to adjust the IC from you phone/iPad.

Sean,

To follow up on what Matt said about a power supply. If you look inside your EasyTouch and look at the small circuit breakers in the upper right corner of your panel. See if you have three or four breakers. If you have the built-in SWG power supply, you should have four breakers and one of them will be labeled "IntelliChlor"..

Unless you are looking to re-plumb your whole filter area, then I agree that moving to a Stenner would be less work. A Stenner could be set up to be controlled by your EasyTouch, assuming you have a free relay.

Jim R.

I'll head back out and look to see if I have the IntelliChlor power supply. Re Stenner, I'm trying to get away from buying and storing chlorine. I'm probably going to spend $400+ in bleach this year alone so I'm hoping the SWG will save money as well as time. Also, it's so hot here in the summer that I'd probably have to bury the tank (which I know from another thread can be and has been done)...

Maybe now would be a good time to mention- my PB quoted me $1500 to install an IC40. That's seeming more and more reasonable as I anticipate what's involved! He'd probably do the IC 60 too if I paid the difference. If I were to go that route, are there things I should insist on or make sure they don't do incorrectly?

I see another option that would be fairly simple.

If if you turn the filter 90 degrees, and add a sweep elbow, you could stay on the cement pad and not need much additional plumbing, and not effect flow friction much.

An hour job job if you had the parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I think this way, you might get rid of 2elbows, so the flow could be improved. Not hard either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you go with Pentair, make sure you know the warranty terms. Self installs only have a 60 day warranty but with an install by your PB you should have a 2 year warranty.

If you go with Pentair I suggest to get the IC60.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.