Closing 1970's Anthony Pool

Sorry, I've been to the pool school, read countless posts and watched many videos. None seem to have my pool configuration. What seems clear is that you must get the sequence of activities right in order to avoid disaster. So I'd appreciate if someone who has experience with my kind of setup could validate or correct my process and/or assumptions about the setup.

Note - see attached photos. Skimmer 1 requires two plugs (lower is for main drain, upper is for skimmer), and skimmer 2 only requires one plug.

1. Backwash/Rinse filter and drain.
2. Lower water level to 1" above the light fixture (approx. 1 foot below tile/skimmers, but still slightly above the returns).
3. Bilge-pump skimmers and then plug them (all three plugs).
4. Set MPV to Filter.
5. Remove pressure gauge from top of filter housing and insert air compressor line (~25psi).
6. When all water is purged from returns, plug them and simultaneously unplug skimmer 1 (both lower main drain and upper skimmer plugs).
7. Replace upper plug in skimmer 1; when main drain blows bubbles, remove upper plug and quickly insert lower main drain plug.
8. bilge-pump skimmer 1 again and insert upper plug; simultaneously remove skimmer 2 plug.
9. bilge-pump skimmer 2 again and insert plug; simultaneously turn off air.
10. Disassemble filter, clean filter element and reassemble loosely.
11. Open and clean strainer, remove strainer plugs and close strainer.
12. Install cover.

IMG_0347.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 99
Mystreba:

Before you do anything, please read this thread:

1st Time Pool Owner - New Install Closing Questions

You can follow the procedures in the post above regarding blowing out lines, etc. The plugs may be slightly different depending on your pump size.

Your pool should be pretty straight forward. Regarding your Skimmer diagram, it appears that the pump (on the suction side) is pulling water from the main drain and from the skimmer. Logic tells me that the path of least resistance will go first. Therefore, it is recommend that you blow air from the suction side of the pump housing. This will push air back to the skimmer from the pump. Before doing this, plug the skimmer port with a Gizmo or black rubber plug. Now, air can only travel one way and that is to the skimmer and back down to the main drain. (If you do not have enough volume with your blower, you may never see the main drain bubbling). Once you see the main drain bubbling for at least 45 seconds to 1 minutes, then quickly shut off the valve for the main drain and skimmer (assuming it is one valve).

Plug the suction side in the basket with a black rubber plug as extra insurance. Now move on to the return side. Set filter on circulate and plug the returns.

Everything else should be covered in the thread and Pool School. Also, I am not visually able to see any shut off valves, either on the suction or return side (Please advise!)

- - - Updated - - -

Please add your signature and Welcome to the Forum!

No-- there is a specific plug with a long stem about 8" to sit below the skim line & keep floor drain from rolling back.. It has 2 rubber expansion plugs on one stem... Get it from a&s or 3rd party.
It's pretty slick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all! I will take some time to read and digest. I do have the double-expansion plug but in eight years the pool company I've hired has never used it, and instead uses the 8" single extension for the lower drain. I do not have valves installed on the above-ground pipes, so must rely on the timing and placement of plugs.

No-- there is a specific plug with a long stem about 8" to sit below the skim line & keep floor drain from rolling back.. It has 2 rubber expansion plugs on one stem... Get it from a&s or 3rd party.
It's pretty slick

:goodpost:

Luckily, I have a straightforward set up with many Jandy Valves that isolate almost every part of the pool. Very easy when it comes time to close the pool, etc.

I like easy closing a too - my first one (16.32 mesh) this morning - 26 minutes , covered , mechanicals & piping purged..
Second pool not so easy 12" pipe, local water park - finished as the sun set

Thanks all! I will take some time to read and digest. I do have the double-expansion plug but in eight years the pool company I've hired has never used it, and instead uses the 8" single extension for the lower drain. I do not have valves installed on the above-ground pipes, so must rely on the timing and placement of plugs.

Just because they got away with it 8 times, doesn't make it a "best practice"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.