First pool- have a few questions

Oct 7, 2016
Allen
live in DFW, thinking of going between Riverbend Sandler and Gold Medal. We live Riverbend better so far

heres what they are proposing. how does this sound and what would you recommend? we only want a lagoon style play pool for us and kids. no spa

Size: 30.8 x 15.6
Gallons: 14,150
Depth: 3.5x5x4
Surface Area: 444
Perimeter: 85

Single color textered concrete with no seal

Pool will be pebble finish

All Jandy equipment- variable pump 2 HP

My questions-

Thoughts on pebble? I really want this over the standard plaster.
Thinking of going even smaller on the pool. 30 feet long by 15 seems really big for a play pool. Thoughts?
Is the single color concrete ok for decking? they wanted 4k for upgraded decking

Have you measured out the size on your lawn? And think about how many people might be in it regularly, i.e. parties, kids having friends over, etc.

latex,

Welcome to TFP.. a great place to be. :lovetfp:

I have never met anyone that has said.. "Gee, I wish my pool was smaller".. :D

I have some kind of pebble, not sure what it is now.. Anyway, they offered two styles, one was much smoother than the other and that is what I got, but it is still somewhat like sandpaper on your feet. It is not bad, but something you need to be aware of before buying. I also have a rent house that I just did plain white plaster and I'm now kicking myself for not getting pebble for that pool also. I highly recommend a pebble like surface, but also recommend that you get your Pool Builder to take you out to pools he has built, so you can get an idea of how the surface feels. Test samples are worthless for doing this.

I have a stamped single color (concrete color) deck that we picked because of price. It looks fine to me, but the wife is talking about trying to stain it. I'm not sure we will do that or not. But if you are in doubt, get what you want even if it costs a little more. The sticker shock of building a pool will be over soon, but if you take the cheap way out, you'll keep thinking.. "if I only had ....."

Jim R.

good to know on the pebble. i really like the look of it

95% of the time it will be just my family- 2 adults, 2 small kids. i want to leave plenty of room for furniture and deck. also want some room for grass for dog.

so are yall saying 15,000 gallons is small?

Also, on the concrete. i guess what im asking is will that look good? i just dont want to pay an extra 5k just to go up to trapertine.

latex,

I suggest you build the biggest pool that works for you and your backyard.. "Small" is in the mind of the pool owner. I wish mine were bigger, but, like you, it is what will fit in my tiny back yard.

I also suggest that you ask your Pool Builder to take you out and show you the decking at other pools that he has built. My pool builder that for me, when we were undecided about pebble. He has also brought several people to look at my pool to help answer their questions.

Jim R.

hey guys one thing a guy told me yesterday who builds pools is that the biggest regret people have when they build a similar pool to mine is they wish it wasnt that shallow. is that true? that surprised me.

we just want a fun recreational pool to lounge in. i thought most pools these days were between 4-6 feet? we dont want a deep end to dive in. just curious what people think

the one we are proposing is 3.5 then 5 then 4

ours has a 3.5 shallow end and I regret it. 4' shallow seems to be the consensus on the forum for a sports pool 4' 5' 4' sounds perfect.

As for largest pool you can fit in the yard, I am in the minority on that one our pool has the surface area of a 16k gallon pool but smaller volume because we did a large shallow end. We could have easily fit a 25k or 30K gallon. we love our "small pool" left plenty of yard for play and seating areas and the savings on chemicals does not break my heart either.

I'll comment on the depth issue, from the perspective of a parent. You describe your kids as small, but you know they won't stay that way... right? My three (youngest is 9 now) all swim like fish, and love going down as deep as they can in any pool that offers the opportunity. They also get into elaborate cannonball and general 'spectacular jump' contests. Even in pools with no-diving rules, it is more fun, and safer, to have deeper water for this.

We won't ever do inground, but if/when we put up a larger AG pool we will look into digging a deeper portion and using an expandable liner. Deeper water is that much fun.

My kids see water as much more of a 3-D experience, I think. That's a different perspective than the 2-D experience of someone who swims or floats at the surface (like me). If you have a pool in the yard, your kids are likely to become skilled and enthusiastic swimmers...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.