Help saving my pool cover from sharp coping corners

flippinGeo

Bronze Supporter
Oct 8, 2016
Maryland
Hello all, first post here. I've used this forum many times for tips on how to run a trouble free pool! We bought this home 4 years ago with the pool... in ground gunite. It is an odd hybrid shape where it is oval on ends, but has 4 interior corners, as well as a love seat that makes a total of 6 inner corners. The corners are 90 degrees and have brick coping.

Every year when I close the pool I've tried to find ways to pad the corners, because they keep tearing my covers over and over again. I keep failing. Last year I tried the coffee table baby bumpers, but due to moisture they only stayed on for 24 hours. I'm tired of buying covers each year, and I'm looking for ideas/options from you experts on what I can do to try and pad these corners so I'm not losing my covers, and I have a better opening experience with cleaner water.

im using a water bag cover. My hope is to eventually move to a safety cover, but I have concrete work to do around the pool before I go that route.

thank you for your help in advanced.

gumbalskip

Welcome to the forum.

While I think I understand the situation, a picture would really help.

I was was going to suggest the baby bumpers, but I can see the moist brick not holding it well.

Have you tried re-enforcing the underside of the cover in these areas? Maybe a dozen or so layers of duct tape, in alternating direction per layer, or two or three layers of HD pool liner swatches?

Hopefully this 'bump' will gain some more attention to your thread.

how about pieces cut from an old cover to double/triple the thickness of those areas. If you don't have any pieces of an old cover my other thought is scrap linoleum or vinyl flooring. I would think you could get some for free if you asked a local flooring store.

domct thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture before closing it up yesterday, but I've attached one random photo that show the general shape and corners. I've used duct tape before to patch, but even then the moist tends to make the tape separate within a short period of time. I was even thinking about constructing some solution out of acrylic or wood with stainless fasteners. Resembling the sketch. Ugly sketch I know, but you get the idea. The constructed solution would at least be a fairly permanent solution as they should last multiple seasons.

thanks again for your help

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Attech. Those are good ideas too. I don't have any old covers. Unfortunately because they are ripped open at the end of winter, I just scrapped them in the past.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.