Help! Possible Scaling after 2 days?

spoonman

Jun 16, 2016
Peoria, AZ
I just filled a brand new pool 2 days ago and am in the process of getting chemicals. Today I noticed what looks like scaling on the steps and wall under the pool light. My Ph is off the charts, so I need to get acid in the pool ASAP.

Does this sound like scaling after only 2 days? If so, how can I remedy the problem?

PS: I have a white plaster finish.

Thanks.

I have gradually poured one gallon of Muriatic Acid into the pool over the last 24 hours. My pH has gone down from 8.4 to 7.7 in that time. I'm continuing to check the pH frequently as the new plaster/dust is sucking up all the acid.

I purchased a sequestrant today and plan to add once the MA has fully dissipated. I purchased the sequestrant because my municipal water comes from local wells (I have just learned this). Also, I have seen what looks like minor gray and brownish scaling (in my novice judgement).

Last, I have extremely high Alkalinity (approximately 400+). My understanding is that I can only reduce this number with copious amounts of acid over time.

I have purchased conditioner (level is around 30 currently) and liquid chlorine. My chlorine level is 0 and I have not added conditioner or chlorine yet as I have been trying to get the pH down and scaling to subside (with acid and sequestrant).

I would love any feedback of any kind on my current state and strategy to balance the water and prevent scaling :)

You have to be more aggressive with adding acid. First, you need accurate TA readings. Then, you use PoolMath to lower the ph to 7.0. You have to keep the ph as close to 7.0 as possible at all times.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've lowered my pH close to 7.0 and have been slowly reducing the alkalinity (around 250 and dropping). Yesterday I added a bottle of sequestrant to help prevent additional scaling. IMy problem is that Im seeing the grey blotching/scaling getting worse every few hours despite the lower pH levels.

My municipal water is well water and I'm wondering if there is iron or other metals falling out of suspension and staining the plaster. What's happening? Please help!

Hi Guys, I'm trying to determine if the stains I have are from metals (iron, calcium, etc) or from an improper plaster job (trowel burn, etc, etc). The stains have shown up almost immediately after filling, but I have also come to find that I have well water (municipal source).

Here are some pictures of the plaster. This is a white plaster pool, with stains that look kind of like gray marbling IMO. They don't show that well in pictures, but are very noticible in the morning.

Please let me know your thoughts on the stains, as I am running out of time to take this up with the PB.

View attachment 55014

View attachment 55015

View attachment 55016

I am in the process of trying the organic stain test (chlorine tablet) although I'd be surprised to have organic staining in a brand new pool. I will try the vitamin C test also.

Does anyone know if this type of staining or mottling is "normal" in new plaster finishes? The pool is 1 week old.

I agree that organic is unlikely. Iron is possible, especially if the stains showed up after raising the FC level. The Vit C test will show that.

It is also possible that it is scale, was a sequestrant added while filling? Like Startup-Tec? Or Jack's Magic?

Yes, mottling is possible. More here about new plaster problems.
Diagnosing Pool Plaster Problems

Sequestrant wasn't added during filling by the PB. I added Sequa-Sol myself after 2 days when noticing the blotches on the pool surface. Hard for me to know if it helped. It may have prevented new stains (not sure) but didn't act on the existing stains at all.

Honestly, I've been afraid to bring up the chlorine levels until this problem is solved but I suppose I will have to since my new water honeymoon won't last forever. I have been very diligent though in keeping pH in the mid 7's despite the plaster dust trying to drive up the numbers.

I'll go get some Vitamin C today and try that. I also told the PB about the stains today. They are going to "look into it".

Take some water to a pool store and ask them to test for metals. Its about the only time we suggest pool store testing (unless you want to buy those test kits yourself) and it will answer some questions about your fill water.

Yippee :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.