?How to lower FC?

Henry M

Silver Supporter
Oct 7, 2015
Coral Springs, Florida
Live in south Florida. Pool is in-ground, 15 X 30; holds close to 20000 gallons. Use TFTest Kit 100 . Am having difficulty lowering FC. Have SWG that operates at 35%, and a variable speed motor that operates 8 hours daily at 3 different speeds. Figures on 10/8/2016 are as follows:

FC: 11.5
pH: 8.5+
CH: 275
TA: 90
CYA: 50
SALT: 32000

Will lowering SWG to 25%, and adding appropriate chemicals to bring pH, CH & CYA figures to recommended levels help bring down FC figure?

In addition: Test Kit directions for measuring CH indicates that "red indicates the presence of calcium." Mine turns more pink than red; and becomes a light blue. Are these shades within bounds of accuracy?

Recommendations most welcomed!

And for the CYA test, the directions mention to fill until I can "no longer see the black dot." Does this mean completely 100% not seen?

There is no real reason to lower FC unless you are way over shock level for your CYA. In your case you aren't even close. So no worries there.

- - - Updated - - -

You do need to work on the pH. Use Pool Math above to find out how much MA to add to get it down around 7.4-7.6

As for the CYA test, a number of us use the glance method. Drip from the mixer bottle up to the bottom line, then glance at the dot. If you see it, put more in until you reach the next line. Glance again. Repeat until you don't see the dot.

Henry,

The output of your SWG is a combination of the % set on the SWG and the amount of time your pump is running. So, to lower your FC level, you can either turn the % down and/or reduce the time your pump is running.

I suggest that you turn it down to 25% (as you suggested) and then check it every couple of days and see where you are. In my case, I have to continually adjust the percentage as the climate changes throughout the season.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.