New plaster-2 Gal of Acid and PH finally moves!

Maria

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2007
West Chester, PA
Hi everyone! I'd love your thoughts on my numbers just to see if I'm on track.
TF-100 Results:
FC 2
CC 0
PH 7.8
TA 100
CH 210
CYA < 20
Temp 77 (new heater going as of Sat--hooray!)

New Quartz plaster on 5/20.

I finally beat the PH down to 7.8 after adding almost 2 gallons of muriatic acid (31.45 %) relentlessly over the course of two weeks. :shock:
I'm adding stabilizer via suspended stocking in skimmer and although the black dot is getting cloudier in the test tube I can still see it when the tube is full, so I know it's coming up, just not there yet.
My TA has risen 10 points over these two weeks. Calcium has come up 20 points in the same time, and I expect it to keep rising.
Should I try and keep my PH lower than 7.8--or is that ok for now?
any thoughts?
thanks in advance

definately want to keep your PH in the 7.4-7.6 range....7.8 is your upper limit.

I would also raise FC to the 3-4ppm range and keep it around 5ppm if your CYA target is 40ppm

With fresh plaster, you are going to need to adjust the PH very frequently for the first three or four weeks. You should lower the PH all the way down to 7.2, to give yourself a little more time before it gets back up to 7.8. Try to never let it get above 7.8 at any point.

Fresh plaster increases the PH, TA, and CH levels rapidly for the first three or four weeks, and then more slowly for up to a year.

It is common practice to use what is called a low pH startup on new pools(or replasters).
On Pebble finish pools the acid that is used to wash the final finish is left in the pool. This can be a
several gallons of acid on a larger pool. The same for plaster pools. Sometimes additional acid is added.

This low pH is left for severals days or a week and then the pool is rebalanced. This helps the
curing of the finish. So don't be alarmed if a new pool requires a lot of acid addition, it is just
the finish curing, after a while it will settle down.

Cliff s

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.