Closing with EZ Drain - HELP!!

This is my first time closing my pool. The pool store gave us an EZ Drain cover when we bought the pool. I've been following the TFP method and I've had a ton of success this year. I want to do the same for closing, but the instructions for this cover go against what I read here. They're telling me not to use chlorine based chemicals to close the pool. Also, not to drain below the return.

Here is a PDF I found online of the instructions: http://www.ezdraincover.com/EZ_Drain_Web.pdf

The version that I have is slightly different. Mine says to drain below the skimmer and install the skimmer plate and then cover the pool. It also tells me to buy a winterizing orb from my local pool store - does anyone even know what's in those things?? No clue how I'm supposed to remove the return in order to attach the hose fitting - if I drain and refill my chemicals will be totally off and my filter disconnected!!

Please please help!!

I would call the manufacturer of the EZ Drain cover for assembly instructions. Regarding, skimmers, returns, etc., it is not necessary to drain below these items, but more of a convenience when closing. The idea of removing 99% of all water in the skimmers is always good. If you remove 95% of all the water in the skimmer and return lines, then plug them, I doubt you will have any problems during the winter. AG Pools are slightly different and a lot of people take items apart. Lastly, chlorine against a cover should not damage it. My solid tarp cover sits on the water where the FC levels are anywhere between 8-10 when closed. Eventually the FC drops down to 1-2 upon opening and never has damaged the cover. The pool cover will probably tear somewhere before any damage is done from chlorine.

I would also ask that you help us help you by updating your profile to include your location. Advice given on winterizing a pool in middle Georgia is vastly different from advice given to winterize in Minnesota.

Thanks very much for the replies. I will try contacting the manufacturer about the assembly, but I definitely want to follow the TFP closing method so I'm still going to bring the pool to shock level. Just one more question, if I have to drain and refill, can I add/adjust chemicals after the filter is disconnected? I didn't think it would be wise since they would have no way of circulating.

@Tim5055 - I never thought to put my location in my signature, I will add it. I'm in New York - and the only reason I haven't closed yet is because we've been having some unseasonably warm weather. We hit 80 the past two days!

Thanks again guys!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.