My new pool close guy says he can't lower the pool level unless the chlorine is zero?

KMPoolOwner

Bronze Supporter
Jul 27, 2016
North Potomac, MD
I am switching pool close services after some poor service from the last group. I have been letting high CYA drift down with rain and backwashes, and it is now at 65. I am hoping that it will be in range after the refill next spring. Because of the high CYA I keep my FC at about 7.5. If I do a SLAM before closing, I have to bring it to about 25. It will then have to drift down. The pool has been absolutely sparkling and clean since my first total SLAM and now using the TFP method. Pool temperature now is 64, should be 60 in 3 weeks when the close is scheduled.

The new service says the chlorine level has to be zero or almost zero in order to bring the water level down, even if I live in the country and we would be just dumping onto the grass. He said it Maryland regulations not to dump water with high chlorine into the water table. My old service didn't worry about this.

I am worried that I will do a slam a few days before he comes, and the levels will be too high. It is my first year using TFP and in the past, we just added algaecide and shock. I really want to follow the advice I get here, but I can't close the pool myself, and really don't want to go back to the old service.

1. Has anyone else heard of a regulation like this?
2. Do I skip the SLAM? Do it now so it has time to go down over three weeks? With the leaf drop about to happen, it seems that a SLAM now might be a waste, although I would have the higher chlorine levels to help keep things clean during that time.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

I just googled it and it seems that Md does have a regulation that says discharge water can not have chlorine levels higher than the safe chlorine level for aquatic life (.013 ppm). They don't take into account dilution when it is mixed with stream water or dissipation when in contact with all those organics on the ground, which seems a bit insane to me, but ..... Of course by this regulation you are breaking the law every time you water the lawn with a municipal water supply.

He is misinterpreting the regs.. The chlorine is to be measured at final destination, not the vessel (pool spa)

After traveling 100 ft soil chlorine will usually read zero at destination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.