Top of filter is leaking

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I just noticed this morning that the top of my sand filter is slowly leaking water. I won't be able to check it out until later so I was curious offhand what I might be looking at? Is it just a tightening issue? Possibly a ring that need to be replaced?

f8d158bf8f4fe4b4fbfffeb2cffa3fc4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try tightening the black lid on top, or remove the lid if tightening does not help and clean off all mating surfaces, you shouldn't need a new quad-ring (o-ring) that's under the lid, you usually have to put some effort into removing the lid they can be tight, most likely a slight tightening of the lid is all that needs to be done.

Replace the 0-60 psi gauge on top to, its old, cloudy lens and all,

Try tightening the black lid on top, or remove the lid if tightening does not help and clean off all mating surfaces, you shouldn't need a new quad-ring (o-ring) that's under the lid, you usually have to put some effort into removing the lid they can be tight, most likely a slight tightening of the lid is all that needs to be done.

Replace the 0-60 psi gauge on top to, its old, cloudy lens and all,

Thanks, I was able to unscrew the lid pretty easily so I cleaned up the gunk around the lid and re screwed it back on and it works great. Thanks for the insight. And you are right about the gauge, it's been on my list to fix. Are gauges pretty standard and I could just get any that has the correct PSI range?

Just get a generic 0-60psi back mount gauge, you have the original pentair gauge with the adjustable dial on it now it appears, unless you like the adjustable dial that reminds you when to backwash, i would just get the 0-60 without the adjustable dial.

Don't get a 0-100psi gauge, don't get a liquid filled gauge, just get the gauge i suggested, pool's are not race cars so don't buy into all the hype, remember it's a hole in the backyard that has water in it, as long as you try not to let it get green, you should be fine.

Doesn't anybody swim in the canals anymore!!....(a little Phoenix humor)

(I am a pool repair tech in Phoenix)

, don't get a liquid filled gauge, pool's are not race cars so don't buy into all the hype, remember it's a hole in the backyard that has water in it, as long as you try not to let it get green, you should be fine.

You DO need one of the liquid filled ones for them to last any time at all. I went through several cheap ones before I broke down and bought a "good" one (liquid filled)..........I have not replaced it after about a year now so it has paid for it's self!

Kim:kim:

You DO need one of the liquid filled ones for them to last any time at all. I went through several cheap ones before I broke down and bought a "good" one (liquid filled)..........I have not replaced it after about a year now so it has paid for it's self!

Kim:kim:
I agree on the liquor filled gauge lasting longer.

- - - Updated - - -

Just get a generic 0-60psi back mount gauge, you have the original pentair gauge with the adjustable dial on it now it appears, unless you like the adjustable dial that reminds you when to backwash, i would just get the 0-60 without the adjustable dial.
I much prefer the 0-30 gauge as it's easier to see the difference between numbers. On the 0-60 you can't see any difference in pressures at any position other than the "5" spots.

I agree on the liquor filled gauge lasting longer.

- - - Updated - - -

I much prefer the 0-30 gauge as it's easier to see the difference between numbers. On the 0-60 you can't see any difference in pressures at any position other than the "5" spots.
DITTO on both, 0-30 PSI & Liquid filled gauge, this gauge has lasted years and the lens is always clear TFTestkits.net

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now, back to the original question of the OP.....

From the looks of it I have the exact same sand filter. Mine has a slow weap at that top "O" ring also. I have removed the top re-seated and lubed the "O" ring with now change. To be honest, unless you can sit there and watch water flowing out I would 't worry. Mine is a little damp at times, but no gushers....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.