SLAM'ing for a week

booyaa

Jul 11, 2012
Illinois
Hi TFP gurus

Hate asking for help but need a little at the moment it would seem.

Slacked off on the pool maintenance at the end of the year letting my FC slip to 0 and I'm paying for it.

Been SLAM'ing for a week pool is looking much better but can't seem to finish it. What I mean is the water has turned from dark green back to a cloudy color ( no longer green ). However, I lose 9 ppm from my SLAM level of 20 down to 11 every 12 hours.

As you can imagine I've dumped 30 - 40 gallons of 8.25 bleach in thing over the last week.

TA = 120
PH = 7.2
CYA = 50

30' round / 21,300 gallon pool
Sand filter, replaced sand in the spring

Using zerobrite instead of DE to try to catch finer particulate.

Guessing I just need to keep slamming the pool and wait for the FC to stabilize? All I'm trying to do is fix it so I can cover it for the winter.

Thanks in advance for reading and any help.

We really need some pics and you need to step up the testing and dosing frequency. Every minute you let it drop below shock level you are allowing the green meanie a chance to recover. Try for at least 4 times a day. More would be better.

Was doing it every hour during the waking hours for the first few days, then every four hours but sadly could only take so many days off work to deal with it. Will try to test and dose more frequently.

Here are a few pics

IMG_0253.jpg
IMG_0254.jpg

Sorry not sure why those are upside down, silly iPad.

You are on the home stretch. Test and dose at least 4 times a day. Keep a VERY close eye on the filter. The filter is the one doing all of the work now!

Keep brushing at least once a day to get the stuff up into the water so the filter can work.

You can also put a skimmer sock on the basket to help the filter out.

I would take the filter out and rinse it to see what it looks like.

Put your brush in the water and take a pic a day of it. That will help you SEE it clear. Each day you should be able to see a little more of the pole. Your eyes will not see it but the pic will show it to you.

Keep up the fight! You are almost done!

Kim:kim:

Thanks pabeader and Kimkats. Will keep fighting the green monster.
The pool listed in the sig was my old pool, this one has a sand filter, will inspect it as well.

The old pool was a lot cheaper to SLAM :p when I got lazy!

You said you are using a sand filter. If your sand filter has a backwash setting straight into the drain, definitely backwash often to clean the sand filter. This dramatically raises filter efficiency. You may need to top-off the pool with extra water everytime you backwash.

Backwash sequence I use to clean my filter (but I'm 20,000 gallon)

- Turn off pump (this prevents pipes doing a loud THUMP exiting regular filtering)
- Set handle on sand filter to backwash
- Open valve on the drain
- Turn on pump
- Wait for water window to become much clearer (but not too long -- you're not draining the pool!)
- Set handle on nsald filter to rinse
- Wait for water window to become a little clearer (fully clear if pool is 100% clear)(this prevents dirty water going back into pool).
- Turn off pump (this prevents pipes doing a loud THUMP re-entering regular filtering)
- Close valve to drain
- Set handle on sand filter to filter
- Turn on pump
- DONE

This varies from sand filter to sand filter, and only works if your backwash is connected to drain (sewer). You're briefly draining your pool while backwashing the filter to clean the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.