Plaster gone bad?

stoked

Oct 8, 2016
Middle River, MD
Hey everyone! First post here, great resources for closing and opening!!

So last year I had our pool replastered and converted to salt water. A year later and small little "stones" are starting to show through the plaster, they almost look like the sand from the sand blasting. The entire bottom of our pool is starting to look like dirt, all of it is embedded into the plaster. On the side it almost looks like a twig is starting to show through.

I had the pool company that did the work come out, and they didn't give me a straight answer but tried to allude to user error, but I quickly shot that down given I cleaned the filter cartridge every other week and vacuumed a minimum of once a week. So he said he would talk to "the plaster council" to see what they thought and then would get back to me. Haven't heard from them since (understandably, it's prime pool closing season).

I took a video that shows what's going on, anyone have any ideas? We're looking to sell our house in the Spring and need this fixed before then.

https://vimeo.com/181535162

The first question we need an answer to is how are you testing the water?

What is your daily routine for adding chlorine to the pool?

I have some ideas but need a little more info. from you.

Kim:kim:

Thanks for the reply!

The pool is salt water. Water is tested by the shop that did the replaster and conversion, I take them a sample and they have a print out of what I need to add and how much of each. I follow that and don't do a "daily routine" (which is why I went to salt). We've also lived in this house with this pool for 5 years, and only now have had this problem starting around 12 months after it was re-plastered

Your water is not balanced properly. From the sounds of it it has not be balanced for quite a while :( Here is a link of one thing that could be wrong with your plaster:

Pool School - Calcium Scaling

Here at TFP we teach how to properly take care of your pool with your own testing. We have found from personal experience that the Pool $tore and such do not test properly for many reasons-not trained properly, in a hurry, "dirty" equipment, equipment not calibrated, etc.

Here is a link to the corner stone of TFP:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

If you are interested in learning more on how to maintain your pool on your own we would LOVE to help you out.

We have tips on clearing your pool and how to help it. Just let us know if you are interested.

Kim

Thanks again!

I'm a novice here, but where I find it hard to believe this is scaling is the embedded little stones and the "twig" starting to come through the plaster at 1:50 in the video. The plaster isn't discolored, anywhere it looks like dirt are little stones coming through the plaster. Where ever there aren't these stones, the plaster looks fine. On the bottom it almost looks like the bad areas were "brushed" on.

When they came out to look at the pool a couple of weeks ago and a couple of months ago, the water levels were normal both times (nor was scaling mentioned). It's also important to note that the walls are equally as bad as the floor (as seen by the "twig").

So I just had another company come out and give me an opinion. And they think that there was probably mud and dirt in the pool when the plaster people came out, and they just dumped in the plaster and mixed it all together. There was about a month between sandblasting and plastering, and I have an underwater stream under the pool that seeped muddy water into the pool between the two. We were gone when they plastered, so I had no idea if they cleaned it up first or not.

Sounds like you're going to have to take this up with the plaster company. If what you say is true and they simply plastered over a dirty/muddy surface, then there's not much you can do to fix this from a chemical perspective.

Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.