Do I need a separate pump for water feature?

mojoaz

Sep 30, 2016
AZ
I'm in initial planning stage of my first pool using BYOP. 34x15 rectangle IG, Equipment tbd but probably SWG & heat pump. No spa. I would like a water feature and maybe bubblers on bench. My question is if I only have one pump will the waterfall be the return? So my heated water will return to pool from waterfall? Someone in another thread on this AMAZING forum suggested having in floor returns for heated water. Is it possible to have in floor return AND a water feature with only one pump? A friends pool fountain runs only when the cleaner is on. Would I need a separate pump if I wanted the fountain to run continuosly? Please excuse me if this is an idiot question. I've just begun the process and don't have a grasp of the plumbing required yet. Thanks for any input!

With a variable speed pump you can operate the water features you describe. You may not have as much circulation through the returns while the water feature is on but that's generally not an issue. A separate water feature pump is usually used in situations where you want to have the spa operating at the same time as the water feature. So while not necessary a separate pump will give you more flexibility.

I often run my solar and the waterfall art the same time off a single 1.5 hp vsp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.