Organic stains and pucks

Sep 27, 2016
N/A
I have some organic stains that respond to chlorine pucks, and so have been superchlorinating the pool for about two weeks with liquid chlorine. The stains may have lightened a bit, but I'm not sure.

FC - 9-12 during the superchlorination
CYA - 40-50

The stains are about a year and a half old and are likely embedded in the plaster. I'm uneasy running the chlorine this high for an extended period of time. So the plan right now is to let the FC drop to a more normal level -- but at the high end. My sense is that the stains might lighten up a bit over time, but it may take a very long time. I still remain uncertain whether it's the chlorine or cyanuric acid in the pucks that lighten stains.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
The trichlor pucks are acidic and, like anything acidic, they dissolve a thin surface layer of the plaster. Couple that with the very high levels of chlorine right near the puck surface and the embedded stain is gone.

There are underwater tools available for cleaning plaster surfaces that allow you to get concentrated chlorine right to the location of the stain. These tools could allow you to use highly concentrated doses of liquid chlorine applied to the stain.

Alternatively, you could jury-rig a puck to the end of a pole and use that to scrub the stain.

There are underwater tools available for cleaning plaster surfaces that allow you to get concentrated chlorine right to the location of the stain. These tools could allow you to use highly concentrated doses of liquid chlorine applied to the stain.

Thanks. I had picked up some of your earlier posts when searching on stains. I think you're referring to those devices by Purity Pool? (I think that's the brand). They're advertised for working with acid, but in the back of my mind, I was thinking liquid chlorine could work as well.

Alternatively, you could jury-rig a puck to the end of a pole and use that to scrub the stain.

I've been thinking about that as well. My grandparents have some "reachers" and while they are too short, longer ones are available that could work in the shallow end. But most of the stains are in the deep end. Pentair had a pole-mounted product for rolling pucks along the bottom of a pool, but it apparently was so poorly constructed that it was discontinued. That leaves it to us to jury-rig. Anyone have any ideas of how this could be done?

This tool is a much cheaper concept tan the underwater acid wash kit...it works with acid but I don't know why you coudnt substitute bleach...though the acid might also remove the stain.

Note its meant for liquid, not a puck, but might work in this situation:
Amazon.com : Purity Pool OS Out Spot Stain Remover : Swimming Pool Stain Removers : Patio, Lawn Garden

Thanks. I think that's what Matt was referring to as well.

I read the reviews and it turns out it's best suited for small areas of stain. Our pool has many large areas of stain and I'm afraid this device would take too long to remove them. I could kick myself for not learning about BBB earlier. The stains could have been gotten out much earlier with bleach before they got embedded.

I'm wondering now if brushing with a stainless steel brush would help. The brush I have has plastic bristles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.