algaecide or not

peter

May 14, 2009
southampton England
Although i'm having no problems with my pool. Ph 7.4 FC 3.0 water crystal. If you use multi function tabs ie Fi Clor do you still need to add additional algaecide. Last year i used traditional chlorine and a copper based algaecide and daughters hair went sex pistal green :cheers:

I suggest you click on the pool school link in the upper right hand corner of the page and read everything in it.
Then read it a second time!
It should answer a lot of your questions and if you have any other ones post them in the forum.
Algaecide is not needed at all if you maintain proper water balance. The continued use of trichlor is going to cause you problems eventually.

Be aware that most of the 'multi function' chlorine tabs DO contain copper sulfate!

I gotta agree with Waterbear!

Oh yeah, at work I call tri-chlor tabs and feeders "heater eaters" ( :lol: ) because, if you don't keep a watch on your pH, all those expensive metal parts of the heater will need replacing - real soon! :whip:

Welcome to TFP!! I HOPE we just saved you a lot of hassle and $$ :wink:

peter said:
Although i'm having no problems with my pool. Ph 7.4 FC 3.0 water crystal. If you use multi function tabs ie Fi Clor do you still need to add additional algaecide. Last year i used traditional chlorine and a copper based algaecide and daughters hair went sex pistal green :cheers:
Just read pool school and learnt loads. I think my major issue is that i have yet to come across any problems to fix . I suppose that if it ain't broke don;t try to fix it ! There are so few people with pools over in the uk that you are at the mercy of advice from your local pool shop and they know it. Its a very time consuming thing to own and it,s driving me mad, but those moments when you slip into the water on a hot day or sticky night are priceless :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.