Blown compressor clearing main drain

Jun 1, 2016
East Coast
This closing is becoming a nightmare.

I didn't have much luck with a shop vac so I got a home depot 150 psi 6g compressor. I set it to about 10 psi and left it running. About 5-10m later I smell burning look over and I can see sparking in the engine and can smell the motor burning.

Didn't see any bubbles so I don't even think it was giving much pressure. It seemed to build up to 150psi and shut off before I started to run it.

SirSwimAlot:

I do not know what happened, but can you return it and get a new one?

Look at post # 10 and you can sense on how compressors react during closing a pool.

Closing: blosing out lines, water level and then some

Personally, if you can return the compressor, get your money back, and do not have a budget, look into the Cyclone. The 3' 1.5' flexible hose can be placed in the pump basket and you can easily blow out the main drain and everything else. Total cost is around $350. If you are handy and there is no budget, depending on your pump, a modified cover can be created, like what I did.

I use a shop vac for mine after I put some anti freeze in the line. I'm also further south, so my comfort level with the main drain is a little bit different than yours. My thought is that the couple gallons of antifreeze mixed with the few gallons of water, trapped by the air bubble my shop vac can push into the line, is plenty for my location. If I lived up north, I would do exactly as you have done, or tried to do. Unless you've got some extra cash for the cyclone, swap the compressor out and retry the drain. It should build up pressure and shut off, or run continuously until you shut it off. You just got a bad one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.