Season 1 Finale

Sep 27, 2016
Oshawa, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been lurking and learning from all of you this past summer--what an invaluable resource you've been for this novice pool owner. Despite having grown up around an 18x30 in-ground as well as sharing a house/pool with friends for 2 years, this year was my first ever year of actually taking charge.

A young family of six, with kids ranging from 18 months - 7 years, we opted this blistering summer in Southern Ontario to indulge in a metal frame Intex "starter" I'm calling it. 12' x 30" ~1700 gallons.

Our intention here was to have a dipping pool available that we & the kids (even the toddler) could splash in and get ourselves started in pool ownership. Having had first hand experience with the dreaded green swamps that can ensue, I wanted to ensure we were doing things correctly from the start. Things have worked out great this summer with everyone enjoying our decision and our water has been pristine all summer thanks to some daily attention and the guidance from you fine folks. [emoji4]

We (I) have full intentions to upgrade to a larger AGP after next season once the little guy is a bit bigger. Plans now include adding a secondary pool level deck to our existing deck complete with gate, to extend our outdoor living area to include clean access to said pool.

Next years plans include relocating our starter pool further from the mature shade tree that cover half the yard, levelling the new area and laying down foam sheets to smooth and soften the pool bottom. I will likely end up cutting in larger inlet/outlets as well to accommodate the larger pump.

This year saw many starter DIY projects surrounding the pool including a solar heater build which resulted in 8 degree F daily gains through August. [emoji106] Cool nights were no match! We also found a year-end clearance on an upgraded Intex sand filter & pump which doubled our flow capacity over the "aquarium" filter the pool shipped with. We managed to rig up a skimmer attachment as well as hook up a vacuum hose and pre-filter sock to vacuum with the filter quite successfully--all with plumbing parts found at Lowe's.

Now that baseball playoffs have started (Go Jays!) it's time to look at a close to season one. It's a shame to drain this baby as she's sparkling away as I type this and at an incredible 74 degrees at the moment. Our last swim day of 2016 judging by our weather forecast for this coming week. If it weren't for the relocation planned for next year I probably would just winterize instead of drain and pack.

Here's to 2016 and and early start to 2017's pool season[emoji482]. Hoping the Canadian winter melts early and fast next year!

Thanks for all the guidance and inspiration! Even though I've not surfaced before now, I was helped by many reading through your experiences.

-Ashton

0b5f397a0026d75fc92bcb6c8b78d531.jpg

3d36d7f6dfe9c42e6493ae5f83966104.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We (I) have full intentions to upgrade to a larger AGP after next season once the little guy is a bit bigger. Plans now include adding a secondary pool level deck to our existing deck complete with gate, to extend our outdoor living area to include clean access to said pool

When looking for an above ground pool, please do not skimp out the pump and filter. Additionally, make sure the PB who installs the pool adds an extra return jet in the pool, and both of them should be spaced out as far as possible, or in equal lengths from the skimmer. We find a lot of people (at least for me), have problems with algae that could be due to circulation. This is ideally because the return jet is very close to the skimmer. Depending on the size, you may even wish to consider adding a 3rd return jet. It will be a lot less expensive at installation, than trying to do it later on.

Thanks for the advice. We won't be upgrading until at least the 2018 season as the youngest family member will be just two by the start of next season. I'd prefer him to be more mobile before going to deeper water. It's a small sacrifice but peace of mind right now. He enjoys the big pool and can at least walk around in it with supervision.

For circulation, this year I ended up hacking the small pool's return to accept a PVC elbow, amazingly it was a slip fit. This let me use the pump to create a whirlpool circulation. Most of the debris collected in the middle of the pool and was easily sucked up.

With the extra stuff we'd likely have on the bigger pool (solar, possibly a fountain or other accessories) I'll be planning to make sure pump and filter are adequate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That water is awesome! There is no other water that looks like TFP water..........you have done well with your "starter" pool.

You have a firm handle on your future plans with very good reason to do it like you are! Peace of mind is a wonderful thing!

Thanks for sharing your success story with us!

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.