Tile Repair and Replacement

dakro

Oct 5, 2016
Saratoga
Due to some beam movement, I need to replace my waterline tile. I currently have two rows of 3” square tile. My pool repair service has suggested removing the current tile and replacing with 6” square tiles. This is part of the routine to repair the fractured areas behind the tile and to help in minimizing future visual tile movement if I continue to have some additional beam movement. I realize that this isn’t the ultimate “fix” for future beam movement, but full beam repair (I already did one several years ago so this shouldn’t have been a problem) is cost prohibitive at this time due to other deck design issues. As a result, I have decided to accept this as an interim repair approach.

My question is with regards to the cost of the repair. They will remove all my waterline tile, repair approx. 20 feet of the damaged area with Hydro-ban and anti-fracture fabric, then reinstall tile. The complicating factor is that in order to utilize a single 6” tile in place of the two 3” tiles, they will have to hand cut my PebbleTec plaster down approx. ¼ inch in order to have adequate grout seams below and above the new 6” tiles (My current PebbleTec plaster currently runs right up to the lower line of tile and top of tile comes right up to coping with no grout line). I do have some questions about how this new approach will look at the plaster to tile line transition, but my primary question is what is a reasonable cost to do this? Their quote runs approximately $49 per linear foot for the repair and tile replacement or $34 per liner foot for just tile removal and replace (no repair). Both prices include the tile at approx. $6 per linear foot. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Any feedback on costs (or repair techniques) would be appreciated.

Thanks BigEinAZ. Some tiles have already broken when trying to carefully remove them and I don't have too many spares left if too many others break. In damaged area, a significant amount of grout/hydraulic cement from prior beam repair is still firmly attached to tile so they are not coming off cleanly. Many are also under in the 10 foot depth end so would have to work "upside down" to get to them for my repair or build some sort of scaffolding. Other challenge is that I have been unable to find any other matching tiles as the die lot colors have now changed for this NPTile style.

My mistake! I just was focused on other issue and missed the point of trimming it.

I would still like to hear fro anyone with current cost data for just removing and replacing 6" tiles (Cost per linear foot). That would give me some useful data to work from for estimating the entire project.

I just had my pool redone (tile, coping, resurfacing). For reference, tile was $22/linear foot installed here in Oklahoma using 6" tiles (no upgrade). Price included tile.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.