Safety cover bolts stuck

Jun 1, 2016
East Coast
I'm trying to losen the safety cover bolts so we can put the cover on when done closing and they so tight they bent the Allen wrench tool.

f7493fe06645d28b5890307fa8d8ba20.jpg

I only tried four so far and 1 turned, one twisted tool and two the entire anchor spun in hole.

It hit them with wd40 and will hit them again in 20 minutes. I'm out trying to find stronger tool and a long bit I can hook to power drill.

It is a big pool so there alot.

They can get pretty tight. I take mine all the way out and clean the threads when I take the cover off in the spring because I've had them stuck before.

I'd put penetrating oil on them and tap them with a hammer. When you start to take them out, tap the wrench with a hammer gently to try to start the threads moving. Torch would be the next step.

I had one where the insert was apparently bent during installation and I never could get it to work until I put a new one in that hole.

Do you need to put any adhesive in when replacing the socket or they just drop in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have ridges, and they are driven in with a special tool. If the holes are oversized from the drill moving the ridges may not engage. I put epoxy designed for masonry and metal in the hole before tapping my replacement in. It's holding fine so far.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had three seize up on me a year or two ago. The whole thing came out. I used quickrete anchoring epoxy to put the new ones in since they wouldn't grab when I put them in. I rinse the holes, and use wd-40 type lube spring and fall, and they are always pretty easy to get out. Didn't know about the drill bit. That'll speed things up when I close my pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.