Solar Cover Reels when fencing is required

DenLor said:
Does anyone have a suggestion or pics of ideas to set up a solar cover reel when fencing is required?
27' AGP cover to big for one person to handle.... Thanks...
Although I haven't done it, I've always wondered if it would be possible to mount the reel upside-down under the deck (or right-side up on a platform), and feed the cover through a slot in the deck. With an AGP, there should be room under there to do the setup, and to replace the cover when needed. You would have to either sand the slot smooth, or install some kind of rollers to allow the cover to feed out and back smoothly.

You would cut a hatch in the deck that would be lifted out to allow you to reach down and turn the handle to retract the cover. Another possibility would be an auto-reel which uses water power from a hose to roll it up automatically (http://www.pooldeals.com/catalog/Feherguard-Auto-Reel-Automatic-Solar-Cover-Reel-p-18742.html

You might need some kind of stop on the end of the cover to keep it from disappearing down the slot, or else you would have to be careful to leave sufficient cover showing.
If you like my idea and make it, be sure to post pictures!

In my case, with an in-ground, I just left extra space on the deep end of the deck to accommodate the solar cover reel, and slide it over to the pool when needed. See pic:
img_0096.jpg

DenLor said:
Does anyone have a suggestion or pics of ideas to set up a solar cover reel when fencing is required?
27' AGP cover to big for one person to handle.... Thanks...
do you mean fencing around the outside of the pool? as in a security fence required by code that attaches to your uprights? I have given this some thought and have not acted yet...but I have recently removed the section by my skimmer to give me better access to cleaning. I have thougth about replacing it with hinges on one side and a hasp on the other side this way I can keep it locked and open when I need it open and then let it swing all the way open. This can give you an opening wide enough to take off a doubled over solar cover and then put it on the roller that way...In fact I have thought about that as an option for my cover as well. I was going to get some hinges this weekend and install I will let you know how it goes. And as far as the cover...you could try cutting it in half?

DenLor said:
Yes, I should have been more specific. It is a fence around the top based on local requirements. No deck installed as of yet......

DenLor, Try out what I suggested...I am going to do it and if it works out well I may put a couple of hinged openings in...You know for easy access to the pool...I hate having to shimmy the pool over the top of the fence...I am not that tall as it is...This would make it easier...I was going to build a deck which would have made this all easier...but had an unexpected expense come up that made me watch the finances a little more closely. Next spring for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.