Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Cover Reels when fencing is required

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Cover Reels when fencing is required

Does anyone have a suggestion or pics of ideas to set up a solar cover reel when fencing is required?
    27' AGP cover to big for one person to handle.... Thanks...
    ~40K gallons
    IG, PLaster pool
    De filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Cover Reels when fencing is required

Quote Originally Posted by DenLor
    Does anyone have a suggestion or pics of ideas to set up a solar cover reel when fencing is required?
    Although I haven't done it, I've always wondered if it would be possible to mount the reel upside-down under the deck (or right-side up on a platform), and feed the cover through a slot in the deck. With an AGP, there should be room under there to do the setup, and to replace the cover when needed. You would have to either sand the slot smooth, or install some kind of rollers to allow the cover to feed out and back smoothly.

You would cut a hatch in the deck that would be lifted out to allow you to reach down and turn the handle to retract the cover. Another possibility would be an auto-reel which uses water power from a hose to roll it up automatically (http://www.pooldeals.com/catalog/Feh...l-p-18742.html

You might need some kind of stop on the end of the cover to keep it from disappearing down the slot, or else you would have to be careful to leave sufficient cover showing.
    If you like my idea and make it, be sure to post pictures!

In my case, with an in-ground, I just left extra space on the deep end of the deck to accommodate the solar cover reel, and slide it over to the pool when needed. See pic:
    18X36' 25000 gal Jacuzzi vinyl Inground Pool (1985) with resin sidewalls, newer Jacuzzi 1 hp two-speed pump and sand filter. Raypak propane heater, Rainbow 320 chlorinator (mostly use bleach).
    Softtub 220 portable hot tub.

3. Back To Top    #3

do you mean fencing around the outside of the pool? as in a security fence required by code that attaches to your uprights? I have given this some thought and have not acted yet...but I have recently removed the section by my skimmer to give me better access to cleaning. I have thougth about replacing it with hinges on one side and a hasp on the other side this way I can keep it locked and open when I need it open and then let it swing all the way open. This can give you an opening wide enough to take off a doubled over solar cover and then put it on the roller that way...In fact I have thought about that as an option for my cover as well. I was going to get some hinges this weekend and install I will let you know how it goes. And as far as the cover...you could try cutting it in half?
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, I should have been more specific. It is a fence around the top based on local requirements. No deck installed as of yet......
    ~40K gallons
    IG, PLaster pool
    De filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I should have been more specific. It is a fence around the top based on local requirements. No deck installed as of yet......
    DenLor, Try out what I suggested...I am going to do it and if it works out well I may put a couple of hinged openings in...You know for easy access to the pool...I hate having to shimmy the pool over the top of the fence...I am not that tall as it is...This would make it easier...I was going to build a deck which would have made this all easier...but had an unexpected expense come up that made me watch the finances a little more closely. Next spring for sure.
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

6. Back To Top    #6

I am in the same situation...any ideas or pics?
    JoeFixes
    (but only if it is broken!)
    18x33 AG - 15,700 Gallons
    DE Filter